So I'm reading that the only way to get push email is to go through Gmail. So what I've done is set up my email to send a copy to my Gmail account and made it so I can send from my main email address through Gmail.

My question is on the phone will the app have the same settings as I've set online (To reply with the email address it was sent to)

I don't think this matters but I'm planning on getting an Incredible.
    05-12-2010 06:43 PM
    If you have your email on the computer set so that it will reply to the addy it was sent to, then it will do the same thing from your device. Your device will mock all the settings that your web interface is set as.
    05-12-2010 06:45 PM
    Thanks. Does this mean it'll have labels and all that jazz?
    05-12-2010 08:03 PM
    There is also an app in the market called K-9 that supports IMAP IDLE, so you can get push for accounts that use IMAP (or so I understand; I do not use it myself.)

I think in order to have gmail use your other address to reply from, rather than forward mail from your other account, you need to set up POP3 access to gmail from your gmail account (from a desktop browser, it is in "Settings", "Accounts and import" - you need to set up gmail to retrieve your mail using POP3, allow gmail to send mail using that account, and set the option "Reply from the same address the message was sent to"). I have all of this set for five accounts, and when I reply on my phone, it uses the address that the message was sent to.
    05-12-2010 08:12 PM
    Thanks. Does this mean it'll have labels and all that jazz?
    You will certainly have the ability to access your labels and all. You can move them from the device, or PC, it wont matter.
    05-12-2010 08:24 PM
    [QUOTE=doogald;102911]There is also an app in the market called K-9 that supports IMAP IDLE, so you can get push for accounts that use IMAP (or so I understand; I do not use it myself.)

I have been using K-9 on my INC and it is far superior to the native HTC Mail or gMail app however it does not push IMAP such as verizon.net. It does a good job of pulling however aqnd you can set it to poll as often as you like which is almost like pushing. It also has an Integrated Message box if you like that will show your gMail inbox and any other POP or IMAP boxes you have accounts set up for. It is fast and very customizable. K-9 is also totally open and has many app freaks out there making it better on an almost daily basis.
    05-14-2010 07:45 PM
    Curious about how pushing works technically. Do they broadcast a phone id out causing your phone to go online and ASK for the email, or do they broadcast emails just through the airwaves hoping your phone can pull in the signal?
    05-16-2010 09:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD