hello guys, i wanted to get your opinions on the retail prices of phones and tablets. today i can pick up a decent i3 or an i5 laptop for about $600-$700
    MY POINT: why in the world are phones and tablets hitting $600 and even 800 dollars when they have half the processing power much less ram than a laptop. I mean seriously anyone have any disagreement pleese comment
    valorian likes this.
    09-30-2011 04:17 PM
    I do agree with you. Because of the price of a tablet is why I will not buy one. Why spend the money on a tablet when you can spend less money and buy a laptop?
    09-30-2011 04:24 PM
    No, not really. I paid $400 for my A501, an extra 50 for 3g sim card and a cover,

My$ 650 Gatway laptop., sits at home and provides my computing power.

My tab, provides me mobile use to occupy my time beetween classes. It edits my word docs,and spreadsheets. Accesses mail and FB. And amuses me with games. And I don't have to lug a 4.5lb laptop around. I'm mobile all day with 6 metro stops.

My $500 phone allows me to do the same (but I have to wear glasses). And both my phone and tab give me cool factor when I goto a restraunt. And yes, at 51yrs old, the 25yr old girls take notice

Did I pay to much?

Do the math......

If 'ya can't afford it, stay home and play your NES.
    09-30-2011 04:34 PM
    That's a good point. But how much work goes into the development of the high end phones costing that much? You are basically paying for a pc in a portable medium. Yes, a laptop is portable too, but not conveniently so like a phone or tablet. We saw the same thing years ago when laptops were making way. In the coming years we may see mobile devices drop in price as the technology is easier and more efficient to manufacture and distribute.

We are still in the early years of true mobile development and things are going to costs a premium for a while.
    09-30-2011 09:07 PM
    The bigger thing is this. Smartphones and tablets are HUGE in popularity, but still only a minority of the population have them. Part of that is the cost keeping consumers away but also it is the tech itself. Older (40+) still don't quite "get" it. As time goes by, more and more people will be introduced to the "wonders" of a smart phone and move towards them. As that happens, market share will increase and prices will fall. Only 3-4 years ago you had to pay $1000 for a laptop that today would cost you 500.

As marketshare increases, prices will drop. It really comes down to supply and demand.

I would say that in 5 years the most you are going to pay for a Phone is $400 for top of the line on release day.

PS: I am speaking a bit from recent experience on this. I am "training" my Wife and her Parents on the wonders of smartphones. They all want one, but need their hand held a bit until the training wheels come off. Conversely, my 13 year old son had no fear and has his phone setup better than I do (well he doesnt flash his all the time like me, but his is smooth)

EDIT: I looked up some numbers. Last September 17% of adults had a smartphone, this year it looks like the number is around 40% so my 5 year estimation may be too conservative. More like 2-3 until a solid majority has them
    09-30-2011 09:17 PM
    HTC Flyer is $300.00 in about an hour

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    10-01-2011 01:05 AM