To any former webOS user: Help!

jfm2154

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Hello there, I am currently a webOS user and huge fanboy of the webOS platform. I'm currently writing an English paper on why I believe webOS for all its features, applications aside, is the best operating system for true multitasking and most functional for everyday mobile technology users. I've recently got a friend to let me barrow their Android phone to aid my research and found the idea of personalization at the home screen to be very functional but, the lack of gestures kept me biased on webOS the whole time. It's not that I can't let go of webOS, its just that after the extensive period of time using the same device (2 yrs.) the gestures have become so imbedded into my muscle memory that anything else feels awkward and rather unnecessary (for example closing an app or switching between tasks). That being said, the uncertainty and lack of hardware on webOS have made me realize that it is now time for a change. I'm a Sprint customer and have yet to decide which rout to go between iOS and Android. So not only could you help me with my paper but also help me decide what platform to choose. Anyway, here are some questions that I would appreciate you answering.

Is there anything you miss about webOS? Could you see yourself ever going back?

What do you love about Android compared to webOS? What do you dislikes?

What do think are the pros and cons of the Android operating system?

Do you feel Android is the best operating system currently in the market?

Well there you have them. Sorry I rambled a little and thanks for your time.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Is there anything you miss about webOS? Could you see yourself ever going back?
I use to miss "cards", but not any more. Maybe if they had better phones like on Android. However, I've come to love Android a lot...so going back to Webos - - isn't on my list of platforms right now.

What do you love about Android compared to webOS? What do you dislikes?
The intuitive and customization. The fact that Android limits the amount of open browsers you can have.

What do think are the pros and cons of the Android operating system?
Pros: The openness of what you can do on Android.
Cons: Limitations of open websites & applications.

Do you feel Android is the best operating system currently in the market?
Not the best, but one of the better OSs / Platforms available on the market. There's always room for improvements. :D

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Thank you very much for your help! Just one more question, what do you mean by openness of Android?
Unlike some other platforms - Android is very customizable. There's basically little or no restriction to what you can do to mold an Android phone to your own preference.

jlehrer100

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
After more than two years on the Pre-, I gave it up a few days ago in favor of the Epic 4G Touch, my first Android experience. This was only a few days after my son did the same thing, also after two years with the Pre-. My daughter still uses her Pre because a) she loves WebOS; and b) she's not upgrade-eligible yet.

To do a true comparison of operating systems for your paper, you need to have equal familiarity with both systems. Hard to compare two years of experience with ten minutes of experience.

I have been adapting to Android quickly. I miss the swipes and cards, but there's a very quick way on Android to see your recently opened apps and get back to them. Not as elegant as WebOS, but not horrible, either.

The speed of the phone, the size of the screen and the huge number of useful apps all make it a better experience than the Pre, I'm sorry to say.

What truly amazes me is the large number of WebOS refugees on Android Central. I'm sure we all share the feeling that HP completely squandered a very loyal user base. I think most of us feel like orphans, but with Android, I'm loving my new home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12