How to quickly make a phone call

Darin#AC

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I just got a Droid today. The biggest challenge for me with smart phone is quickly making phone calls.

For example, with my old LG flip phone, I did this:
1) Open the Phone
2) Click contacts
3) Type first few characters
4) Click Send

I would be clever and put spaces in front of some names, so when I clicked contacts, I could just scroll to their name (which was at the top of the list). I could find just about any record and be making the call in about 3 seconds (maybe 4 if I had to key in 2 letters to find the contact).

What's the fastest way to make a phone call with the Motorola Droid?

I've been playing with it, and this is what I've found:

1) Click Power Button
2) Swipe for security
3) Click Search Button
4) Click Voice Dial
5) Say Name
6) Wait for list of numbers with that name (home, mobile, work, etc.)
7) Tap number

Takes me about 7 seconds

Side note: I wish there was a way to turn on the phone using one of the side buttons, getting to the top-right power button one-handed is awkward for me.

I tried not using the Voice Dial, and because I have 220 contacts, it took too long to scroll through. Then I tried using the little keyboard to type some characters...works, but the on-screen keyboard isn't on my team yet. :)

Anyone have any other suggestions on how to quickly make a phone call?

p.s. I also know about putting the contact icons on the home screen.

Looking forward to suggestions, or ways I should try in order to be faster at making a call. Right now, it seems like with practice I could get to the point of making a call a little quicker, but does it have to take so much effort (read steps)...I gotta be missing something.

Thanks!:)

Last edited:

hatch.duffy

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
One thing i will say, you do have to click a few times to call people. I have just resorted to the putting icons on my homescreen for the people i call the most. Otherwise i just start typing their name in the Google Search Widget and they come up.

Eduardo Nader

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Did you find a way to dial fast?.
I am migrating from blackberry, and found myself with the same issue. Is very difficult to place a call...

Or may I missing something??

Regards.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Besides putting frequently called contacts on your homescreen or Favorites list, you can also set up Speed Dial for your 8 or 9 most frequently called contacts. Then just bring up the Dialer and long press the number that corresponds to that contact.

Remember also that there a few different ways to put a contact on the homescreen. It probably depends on the brand of phone that you have, but on Motorola, if you use the Contact widget, you will still have to do another keypress to select call or text. If you want a truly one touch dial, you need to use the Direct Dial widget.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I know this is about 3 years too late, but any T9 dialer will do what the OP was looking for, ie

vFor example, with my old LG flip phone, I did this:
1) Open the Phone
2) Click contacts
3) Type first few characters
4) Click Send