Android security

DocToxyn

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I've got an EVO 4G stock that I use as my personal phone, but also access my work email, connect to my computer at work to transfer files, etc. The small business I work for is now becoming more aware of potential issues with security and they are moving on things like establishing an VPN for offsite access, increasing password strength and mandating the way we use our phones.

Can someone help get more familiar with aspects of security on my phone. I know I can put on a lockscreen with PIN access (done), but work is also looking to have the phone wipe all data after 10 unsuccessful attempts. I don't see an option for that, can I enable that capability somehow?

I know there are several "security" apps out there like Lookout et al that permit remote wipes and other security-related options. Are they really that useful? Do I need to keep GPS on at all times for it to be truly functional (battery concerns)? What if I loose my phone and someone just pulls the SD card, have I gained nothing in terms of security by that simple act? Is there some level of encryption that I can enact or is natively active either in the phone or in how it saves to SD?

Is any of this really helping me if a determined hacker or even some mildly well-informed person has my phone, or the phone of one of my colleagues - primarily iPhones? I'm not looking to start a war here, I just want to be as informed as possible about everyone's situaiton?

Any thoughts, links, more info in any form would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Doc

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
You can also Sim Lock the device (password required). I usually don't suggest this, as if you forget the password, you have to have the PUK code which most people have thrown away when they got their SIM.

As with the "find my phone" apps, they really do work. Granted, GPS on gives a more precise location, but tower triangulation gets it close to with 100 feet. So GPS is not necessary. I use AVG anti-virus and it has this capabilitiy along with remote wipe of data. Never used the remote wipe function ;)

As with a sim card, it varies on application and device. They have to insert a sim card eventually ;) Although the more serious minded thieves will try to flash a rom as soon as possible if they know how.

True, the most serious of evil minded superfelons would more or less defeat any security. The majority of thieves want to sell off the device as fast as possible and make a few bucks, not read your sms ;)

But a quick call to your provider will bar the EIN of the device itself, so chances are, they would find the device useless, at least in the states, and put it for sale on e-bay or craig list.

Also a note of interest, is that when anybody takes a foto and post's it online, the photos carry a watermark of the device EIN I believe, and there are sites that scan fotos and keep a database of the results.So you can submit your number, and check to see if anybody posted on say...FB!! Or any other social networking site,

Also, I believe you can get an alarm to affix to the device, where as the reciever will sound an alarm if you are more than say 10 feet from your device. Also useful.

No war started ;)

Reactions: DocToxyn