Privacy questions regarding Google!

scubafan#AC

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I've been seriously thinking about switching my Treo Pro for the new Motorola Pro+ when it comes out for GSM. While not a major upgrade in performance, the 1Ghz CPU should be snappier than the 512mHz I have now. The Gorilla Glass display is VERY welcome!

The main reason I want to switch is so that I can get access to more of the USEFUL apps like Gasbuddy or Flightwatch. The concern is, with Google being behind Android I worry that my personal data will be totally compromised! For example, when I tried to update the Google maps on my phone NOW, it first deleted the working copy I had and wouldn't allow the new one to install unless I agreed to a total lack of privacy! It wanted to stay on, connect my private cell number with ANY form of marketing and allow all my travels to be used for marketing as well. I DEEPLY resented that, so now I'm without the use of an app that was preinstalled WITHOUT me having to accept a "lack-of-privacy" policy.

The terms say: I consent to the collection, use, sharing and transfer of my data including voice and location data. In addition I have to agree to their mobile privacy policy terms (the site won't let a new poster add the link)

That says:However, if you use an Android-powered device, Google will associate your device id with your Google Account in order to provide services, such as sync functionality for your Google email and contacts.

we record your phone number. We record your phone number when you send it to us; ask us to remember it; or make a call or send a text message or SMS to or from Google. If you ask us to remember your phone number, we will associate your phone number with your Google Account, or, if you do not have a Google Account, with some other similar account ID. We often generate this account ID based on your device and hardware IDs, so if you change your device or hardware, you will have to re-associate this new device or hardware with your account before we can authenticate you.

So, what are my options? I do NOT use Gmail, and didn't like that it also says it will keep track of all my contacts. That means whether THEY like it or not, Google now knows everything about them too...

Has anyone here explored these concerns?

Thanks in advance to anyone with input!

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
And Microsoft doesn't share your info? Hotmail? Your registration for every MS product you ever installed?

And Apple, well, we know that story..............

What about Nokia and the rest?

Google is no exception.

However, I can say, in 30 yrs of dealing with countless "major" corporations in my IT career, I have never recieved any spam based on using their products. Or at least minimal.

Until Gnomeland Security came into effect. Now, the states has the right to "all" your electronic info and communications.

But rest assured, if you're not an international terrorist, nor have connections with them, or have affiliations with far right or left wing parties then you can feel assured your info is relatively safe.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Yea, I mean, I'd be more concerned with the warnings you get when you install an App. I mean, of course Google is data mining it's customer base, but, they do the same thing with cookies and your web browser. I'd watch the apps, and, not worry too much about Google.

Additionally, I like the fact that Google uses it's Android users to keep the traffic on it's Maps up to date. I'm happy to participate in that effort. The other day I was on a detour, going real fast, barely another car in site, I start going through a little town, I'm looking at my map and I'm like, huh? How could there possibly be traffic up there (the map went green, yellow, red real quick) and the next thing I know, boom, I'm stopped in traffic at a light. I was pretty impressed.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Anyone in this day and age still expecting some sort of privacy is expecting a lot. Be happy that they can't see inside your bathroom.

scubafan#AC

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
And Microsoft doesn't share your info? Hotmail? Your registration for every MS product you ever installed?

And Apple, well, we know that story..............

What about Nokia and the rest?

Google is no exception.

However, I can say, in 30 yrs of dealing with countless "major" corporations in my IT career, I have never recieved any spam based on using their products. Or at least minimal.

Until Gnomeland Security came into effect. Now, the states has the right to "all" your electronic info and communications.

But rest assured, if you're not an international terrorist, nor have connections with them, or have affiliations with far right or left wing parties then you can feel assured your info is relatively safe.

Well, that's the sticking point! I've NEVER given Micro$haft my info, never used hotmail, never owned ANY Apple or Nokia product. AND more to the point, now that Google mines ANY use of 60 different possible products, mines every text and voice call, well that gives them a far too intrusive look at me.

SO, here's my next post....

scubafan#AC

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I want an Android phone but have privacy concerns!

Does anyone else know if there is any way to use an Android phone WITHOUT giving all my personal information away to Google?? Even with my current Palm Treo Pro I've run into issues! When I used the google maps a while back, it said I needed an update. To do so it deleted my original copy and the new one will NOT work unless I allow it to give google my location at ALL times!

In addition, I do NOT use Gmail and don't want to be forced to give google my real name to add to the database they now build across SO many platforms. More articles out say they mine all your texts and voice calls for more "personalization" data. Many apps seem to give GPS data out even when you do NOT give permission as well.

All I want is to be able to use an OS more modern than the Winmobile 6.1 so I can use the gasbuddy app! Am I doomed to be stuck unless I want to give my life away to google???

I planned to use a misdirection Gmail account originally, but from what I can tell, even if I want to only use FREE apps I'd need to give Google my real name, cell number and credit card info! Am I wrong about needing all that data just to use free apps?