Playing movies on your android

Joe H.

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Is there an app or something to allow to play movies on your android device. I have a video converter program on my computer I've had for a couple years now. I have several .avi files I watch on my netbook and things. And I'm trying to put some movies on my moto atrix, running 2.3, and I've tried MPEG-4 and a few other video files and I can't get them to play. Any suggestions of video players or what type of video file works best?

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I usually use handbrake. to convert videos. I select the iPad setting and just load them on the phone/tablet without issue. You can try MX Video Player from the market.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
You shouldn't have any issue playing AVI files with the stock player. Here is some info on this subject I posted elsewhere. This blurb gives some suggestions for media players, and, info about Hardware Decoding. But, for more details, see the link I posted. I go into more detail in that Thread.

You might want to consider getting a couple of media players, just to have options if one doesn't work. I have been using MoboPlayer to play my converted MP4 files. When in MoboPlayer you have to long press the file, then select Hard Decoding to Hardware Decode. Software Decoding doesn't work sometimes, and, I think that might be the default for most players. Other good players are QQPlayer and RockPlayer.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-x2/124470-viewing-movies-my-x2.html

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
And if your files have issues with Mobi, try MX (with a codec update for tegra2 owners).

I use both.

Keep in mind, especially with HD ripped films, you may have audio issues. I run about 40% to the good with mine, but with the others, I suggest a more milder codec compression.

If you're ripping these yourself, from a licensed copy, then you can play with the codecs and find what works for your device.

If you download from torrentz.....well.... I can say standard avi works with both. But downloading from Torrentz is mostly illegal.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Unless you own the original, then you are probably okay downloading it. I assume so anyway, since you are allowed to make copies to retain for yourself.

I had no problems playing any format but MKV. I guess it was too rich of a format. I converted to MP4 and it worked great. Just have to make sure to Hardware Decode when playing.

Joe H.

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your help guys.

Yeah, I've been using the Slysoft DVD converter, and it can covert to just about every video format. I'll have to mess around with some of the other video players when I get home from work.

How do you usually transfer your video files? I was just creating a folder on my SD card and copy/pasted some of the video files from my computer to phone

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
For 1 liter vodka, and the kuipe prize, why is the MKV format, called MKV?

And you have 15 minutes

It's named after a Matroska Doll. Quite funny, never even knew that. From Wikipedia:

"Matroska is an English word derived from the Russian word Matryoshka (Russian: матрёшка [mɐˈtrʲoʂkə]), which means nesting doll (the common Russian cylindrical-shaped doll within a doll, also known as a babushka doll). This is a play on the container (media within a form of media/doll within a doll) aspect of the matryoshka as it is a container for visual and audio data. The loose transliteration may be confusing to Russian speakers, as the Russian word matroska (Russian: матроска) actually refers to a sailor suit."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matroska

As for your other comment, haha. :D But seriously, while the lead designer of MCF was Russian, I don't think the creator of MKV was. As far as I can tell, the dude (Steve Lhomme) was French.

Also, do you want my address so you can mail me that vodka?

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
It's named after a Matroska Doll. Quite funny, never even knew that. From Wikipedia:

"Matroska is an English word derived from the Russian word Matryoshka (Russian: матрёшка [mɐˈtrʲoʂkə]), which means nesting doll (the common Russian cylindrical-shaped doll within a doll, also known as a babushka doll). This is a play on the container (media within a form of media/doll within a doll) aspect of the matryoshka as it is a container for visual and audio data. The loose transliteration may be confusing to Russian speakers, as the Russian word matroska (Russian: матроска) actually refers to a sailor suit."

Matroska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for your other comment, haha. :D But seriously, while the lead designer of MCF was Russian, I don't think the creator of MKV was. As far as I can tell, the dude (Steve Lhomme) was French.

Also, do you want my address so you can mail me that vodka?

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
You are sooooo close.

Actually, the term is used to store objects within a limited space.

The dolls, only came into play in the last 70 years, but the "verb" form, is well over 400 years old.

But you researched... wiki... not always the best source.

You can come to moscow, or, I will be in NC sometime around June (wife preggy).

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
You are sooooo close.

Actually, the term is used to store objects within a limited space.

The dolls, only came into play in the last 70 years, but the "verb" form, is well over 400 years old.

But you researched... wiki... not always the best source.

You can come to moscow, or, I will be in NC sometime around June (wife preggy).

Well, actually, I'd say you are the one who is close, Wikipeida is better than you think.

"The Matroska Multimedia Container is an open standard free container format, a file format that can hold an unlimited number of video, audio, picture or subtitle tracks in one file.[1]"

I breezed over that when I read the article initially. I mostly just scan things when I read, hehe. But, I'd say that makes more sense, knowing what the dolls are really like. I guess it's going off the premise that if you could make dolls small enough you could fit an infinite amount in there. Obviously we are limited by only being able to manufacture so small. Either way, I think we both get the point, and, it's actually a really clever name for a file format.

Hmm, NC is kinda far away. And, I have yet to travel outside of the United States. But, when I do, it'll probably be somewhere tropical or something, not Russia, hehe. But, if you are ever in PA, I'll take you up on that and we can drink it together.

Also, congrats!! Assuming you are excited that is. Haha. Didn't you mention somewhere before you have 30 years in IT? Kinda late to be having a kid, no?

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your help guys.

Yeah, I've been using the Slysoft DVD converter, and it can covert to just about every video format. I'll have to mess around with some of the other video players when I get home from work.

How do you usually transfer your video files? I was just creating a folder on my SD card and copy/pasted some of the video files from my computer to phone

Sorry. I totally missed this between me and Moscow's banter.

The only thing I've had to convert were MKVs. I haven't had any issues with any other formats, not that I have tried them all.

I generally stream my videos actually. I use UPnPlay to stream from my PC to my phone over my wireless network. But, yea, you can physically transfer them like that and it'll work to. I had trouble playing the files that I converted to MP4 because UPnPlay didn't recognize them. I physically transferred them using a USB cable, just like I would for music. I put them on SD or internal, doesn't matter.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Yo... dude,,,, put some thanks in there! At least for Dev...:p

You're recognition is good enough for me Moscow. :D

They thanked in text, just not with the button. :p I've been thinking I should make a sig mentioning that. Too many things go un-thanked on these forums. But, like I said, the OP did thank us in text, so, it's whatevs. I'd like to see it in my numbers, but, what're you gonna do. I'm a big gamer, so, rewards like that make me happy. Anytime I log and see my thanked counter higher, I get kinda excited. Kinda sad. Haha.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol