I have a great calendar app and the developer warned in the notes to the last update that the next update would usher in ads. I don't want that. I don't have it set to auto update, so I know I can just not accept the update. But I know at some point in the future, my phone will say "found 14 updates" and I'll just hit "update all" and forget to check whether this app I like is one of the 14. Then I'll be stuck with ads. I'd love to be able to somehow disable it from updating period, or from even looking for updates. Is there a way to do this?

I use an HTC Incredible 2 running 2.3.3 and stock rom for now.
    10-09-2011 04:39 PM
    If you're rooted you can try Titanium Backup, it has an option to "detached" from market.
    The app will not show up in your "My apps" list anymore.
    TB is also great in case you do accidently update, you can restore the
    previous version of the app (as long as you didn't backup the latest version).
    pmjj likes this.
    10-09-2011 05:42 PM
    If you're rooted you can try Titanium Backup, it has an option to "detached" from market.
    Ha ha! BOOM! Did it! I didn't even know that was an option in Titanium Backup but apparently that's exactly what it's for. Fantastic. Thanks.
    10-09-2011 05:54 PM
    What is rooted? Also it doesn't give me any directions how how to turn them off. I have stupid things like Youtube and gmail I don't use and have no use for. I honestly would like to uninstall them. But I believe they are base apps i don't see an option to uninstall them. So to fee up space I take off the updates but right away it asks to get them again and it's annoying. How do I either uninstall these or turn off the updates. thanks
    09-01-2012 10:32 AM
    What is rooted?
    Do you run Windows? Are you familiar with "run as adminitstrator"? That gives you "root" in Windows. Rooting an Android phone lets apps run that way in the phone. (The process of "rooting" is basically installing 2 small apps. "Rooted" means you've run them, and apps can get "administrator" access.)

Also it doesn't give me any directions how how to turn them off. I have stupid things like Youtube and gmail I don't use and have no use for.
    Setup/Applications/Manage applications. Select an application, then uninstall it.

I honestly would like to uninstall them. But I believe they are base apps
    Neither Youtube or gmail will stop the phone from working if you uninstall it. But unless you have another email app, or you don't use your phone for email, removing Gmail will leave you with a problem. (If you install Astro and an apk installer, you can save an apk file for any app, uninstall the app, then install the apk file at any later time. You can save the apk files on your computer or in the cloud.)
    09-01-2012 02:18 PM
    Astrodroid,
    I understand you don't like ads. They use network connection, burn battery, and are just plain annoying. But ads are how devs make money without charging for their apps. Forcibly evading the ads may be good in the short term, but those ads, and the revenue they provide, are what encourage app developers to keep up their hard work. If you'd like to avoid ads, most devs allow users to pay for a "donate" version of their apps so that you can enjoy your ad-free app, while supporting the developer. Avoiding the ads actually takes money away from the developers, as they are payed by ad companies for each install of the app that includes ads.
    09-01-2012 06:41 PM
    Astrodroid,
    I understand you don't like ads. They use network connection, burn battery, and are just plain annoying. But ads are how devs make money without charging for their apps. Forcibly evading the ads may be good in the short term, but those ads, and the revenue they provide, are what encourage app developers to keep up their hard work. If you'd like to avoid ads, most devs allow users to pay for a "donate" version of their apps so that you can enjoy your ad-free app, while supporting the developer. Avoiding the ads actually takes money away from the developers, as they are payed by ad companies for each install of the app that includes ads.
    This

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    09-01-2012 06:48 PM
    Thank you for this info!! I had just started to look for a solution and there was your answer! Perfectly Worked Titanium was a well bought app!! This was not in regards to blocking adds, but an app I needed to stay as is because I am rooted, once updated it would no longer work.

06-27-2013 09:08 AM