Phone recomendations - principally for GPS navigation

MG_Toad

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi
I am looking for a new Android phone the main requirement being off line GPS navigation.
I am thinking of using the Sygic GPS Navigation app.
So what are your thoughts on phone & app.
Thanks
Roger

MG_Toad

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that. So your view would be any GPS enabled mobile would find and hold a lock as well as any other?
Albeit not as good as a dedicated in car device? - I am keen on have one device.

valorian

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I use my Incredible 2 often for GPS. I've never had any issues. I actually think it get much better once it got Gingerbread.

ronald600

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
You didnt say what carrier
If you get a Motorola Photon/Electrify/Bionic that would do what you want.
In fact they make a car mount for the phone

valorian

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Do you use it successfully for GPS navigation without a data connection? If so which mapping do you use?

I've never tried without a data connection. I'll give that a try and let you know.

Whichever you decide on, get a car mount so you can plug it into your charger while in use. Using the GPS for navigation will suck you battery dry fast no matter which phone you choose.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Just don't get a samsung Galaxy s... by far the worst GPS in an android phone. I used my thunderbolt in Mexico without a data connection. Technically if you don't mind the space on the device, you can download entire maps of regions of the world so you don't need a data connection. In a vehicle, you should be able to get a lock decently (tunnels/parking garages will block your view).

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I thought the GPS issue had been fixed in the Galaxy S II, do you think it hasn't?
Which downloadable maps do you use?

I was talking about the original Galaxy S phones... I have no idea for Galaxy S-II as I would never purchase or even look at one... it will never get updated, just "leaks" teased in front of your face that aren't 100% functional.

I use google maps. If you go into menu--more--labs you can pre-cache map area.

"To pre-cache an area of the map, long press on the center of the area you'd like to save, then tap on the bubble. Or go to 'More options' on a search result details page. Then select 'Pre-cache map area'"

MG_Toad

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info. Is it possible to download all of the UK for example using Google maps? When I set off on Monday I don't know where I will end up on Friday!

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info. Is it possible to download all of the UK for example using Google maps? When I set off on Monday I don't know where I will end up on Friday!

hmm... looks like It will only let me cache a 10-mile radius right now. When I was in Mexico City, I had the entire city cached and it was able to locate me in the middle of el bosque de chapultepec. I tried the united kingdom and that didn't pull up anything able to be cached, but "england" did.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay