Should I jump to Android for a penny?

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Yep, a whole penny. I'm currently with Virgin Mobile Canada with 6 months left on my contract. I'm using a BB Pearl (the old 8130 model)

Rogers has a few "still pretty hot" devices for $0.01 on a 3yr contract. the one that I was eyeballing was the Evo 3D. I don't need the 3D feature, personally I think its a bit of a gimmic, but even so it seems that the rest of the device is still pretty awesome, and for a penny I thought it was a great deal.

Data/voice package is comparable to what I currently have, within a couple bucks/month. Rogers seems to have really got their prices more in line with the competition (they used to be the most expensive carrier to go with, and still are based on handset price ONLY)

So what say the Android Professionals? Grab the Evo 3D for a penny? or wait out my contract with Virgin, hope I don't throw my pearl through the window in frustration, and see what devices are available in 6 months? I realize 3 years is a long contract... and I also realize that new newest/bestest/fastest/amazing-est device is ALWAYS just around the corner - that's just the nature of electronics.

And as far as cancellation fees, I can either cancel out and pay off the ETF, or chop my plan down to the bare minimum ($15/month). Either way that part will cost about the same, assuming I take the leap now rather then wait.

I'm so sick of my pearl. Virgin MIGHT have their HSPA ready by "winter" of this year. But its then HSPA or nothing. -- you go outside of a coverage area and you loose all signal, data and voice. At least with Rogers I've got 3G then EDGE before dropping signal.

Pros and Cons either way. So what does the AC community think? (Rogers has really thrown out some good deals this summer... I've been keeping an eye on them, considering taking the leap)

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I would have thought after your last few posts on this same subject, you by now would be sporting your new device!!!

The choice is rather simple. Either you get off the pot and trolly yourself down, throw your 1 penney at them and walk out the door with your spanking new android,

or,

I'll send you a buck, you send the device to me, and you'll make a 999% profit! Not bad in todays economy ;)

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Moscow your offer is tempting but I'd still be stick with a 3 year contract! Ok so one more question. If you go to Rogers.com/wireless you'll see a number of one cent devices. Which of them would you recommened for a new android user - keeping in mind I'll likely be stuck with it for at least 2 years? The Evo 3D seems to have a lot of positive reviews but I'm a noob so some advice would be appreciated :)

Last edited:

Noble.Four

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Moscow your offer is tempting but I'd still be stick with a 3 year contract! Ok so one more question. If you go to Rogers.com/wireless you'll see a number on one cent devices. Which of them would you recommened for a new android user - keeping in mind I'll likely be stuck with it for at least 2 years? The eco 3D seems to have a lot of positive reviews but I'm a noob so some advice would be appreciated :)

I had the EVO 3D while I was giving sprint a test drive. It is a beautiful device. The screen is great, it is snappy, has a great development community. The 3D is actually cool. You tell yourself you won't really use it. But then you realize it is nifty. For a penny, you can't go wrong. I don't know what other devices you have to choose from, but right now, if I could choose any device on the market, I'd probably go back to the EVO 3D. Of course that will change with the announcement of the Nexus or Rezound. But as of right now, I say jump.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Androids available for a penny. Evo3D, LG Optimus 3D, Galaxy S Infuse 4G, and Xperia Arc. Pretty sure I'm gonna make the jump, just need some advice on the device. Any other input? Maybe wait out my contract and see what's available early 2012? *sigh*

Noble.Four

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Out of those devices, I'd definitely recommend the EVO. As far as waiting goes, it's really your call. Next year there will be some monster devices coming out. But something better is always on the horizon with Android.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

valorian

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Just like any other electronic device, if you continue to wait for "the next available device" you will never get one. There is always something better coming out. I would go with the EVO.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
But I tell 'ya, 3 yrs is a long time to be with the same device. Granted, I'm into the 2nd year with my Desire, and have no intention of changing it, but then again, I'm not on a contract. And the latest and greatest, really don't do anything more than my current device. So why change it?

The only thing that they can possibly do, is upgrade the cameras on phones. But mine is fine. Memory? Mine suits me well, but a little more would be ok.

Do they (Rogers) offer an upgrade path?

You hate your current carrier according to other posts, so just take your penny, and change ;) Then you can relax.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded for more than a penny. I love my Android phone and have no intentions of leaving. If I had a smartphone and could have held out for four more months and got my current phone for a penny, like it is now. I definitely would have. But, I needed to make a move, and, I didn't like any other phones. So, I was okay with dropping some money. Never been happier.

But, for free? I'd say, yea, do it.

Also, I always see great deals for phones on Amazon, TigerDirect and Newegg. Might want to also check there. I don't know if these phones would work in Canada or not, I really don't know much about the networks. But, if they do, it'd be worth a shot to check at those sites. More options!!

PoorBoy52760

Banned
Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Moscow your offer is tempting but I'd still be stick with a 3 year contract! Ok so one more question. If you go to Rogers.com/wireless you'll see a number of one cent devices. Which of them would you recommened for a new android user - keeping in mind I'll likely be stuck with it for at least 2 years? The Evo 3D seems to have a lot of positive reviews but I'm a noob so some advice would be appreciated :)

in retrospect i am looking at the specs on the phones on their site the evo is dualcore 4.3 inch running 2.3 gingerbread but the downside to it is the fact it has only 1gig internal memory, The Optimus 3D nice phone, 4.3 inch, runing Froyo 2.2 only 8 gigs Internal Memory,

now the Samsung Galaxy S 4G, Very nice phone, 16 gigs Internal Memory 4.5 inch display, android 2.3, 1.2ghz processor that is where i would put my penny....

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Do you mean the Galaxy S II? If so, that was my dream phone, alas, I have Verizon, and, needed a phone before it even launched, so, it didn't matter anyway. Couldn't hold out any longer. But, that was the phone I wanted. :'(

PoorBoy52760

Banned
Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Do you mean the Galaxy S II? If so, that was my dream phone, alas, I have Verizon, and, needed a phone before it even launched, so, it didn't matter anyway. Couldn't hold out any longer. But, that was the phone I wanted. :'(

sorry Samsung infuse 4g, i would still put my penny there.. cause of the specs on that one..

on Rogers they call it the galaxy s infuse 4g... here is a link to the full specs of the phone from gsmarena

Samsung Infuse 4g Specs

Last edited:

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Ahh, gotcha. Don't know much about that phone. I have a 4.3 inch, and, could go a lul bigger. A Super AMOLED 4.5 inch screen would make me want to do some research, that's for sure. :D

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Hmmmm... Maybe I'll wait for the HTC Apocalypse coming out in a couple months. 256Gb internal. 3.0 quad core. And the new 5G coming here to East Europe. Who needs Wifi :D:D:D:D Will run Android version Sheetrock.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Well I'm still pondering it. I'm still leaning more toward the Evo3D, simply because I don't see myself using a whole heap of apps. Granted I'm new to Android so that might change. From what I've read HTC seems to have a great track record for solid reliable hardware, as well as great updates. The 3D is just a bonus. I'd take the Incredible S if it was offered.

The other device in the running is the Sammy Galaxy 2 Infuse 4G (which makes me ask.... if it's really a Galaxy SII, why not just call it that? Or is the SII a different phone from the Infuse 4G?) Great specs on this one but I'm a little afraid of the size -- will it be "too big"? Keep in mind my current device is the BB Pearl 8130, so I'm used to something rather compact. Probably just takes getting used to the bigger size. I'm a little worried about Sammy's history with being slow on updates (from what I've read in the forums)

Thinking this weekend will be the day to go down to the local store to make the final yes/no call (and which device). I just want to have some solid info (and advice) before I go in. Thanks everyone who's posted so far! Anyone else?

Last edited:

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Oh yeah, and could someone jump in with a quick, noob-friendly comparo of the 2 different interfaces? Sense (HTC) vs TouchWiz (Samsung)? I think from the bits I've read that HTC is the most user friendly but also has the most eye-candy, which means more battery drain.... BUT I'd welcome some input on this too.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
The other device in the running is the Sammy Galaxy 2 Infuse 4G (which makes me ask.... if it's really a Galaxy SII, why not just call it that? Or is the SII a different phone from the Infuse 4G?)

Looks like they are different phones, check the specs on the right hand side.

Samsung Infuse 4G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Samsung Galaxy S II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thinking this weekend will be the day to go down to the local store to make the final yes/no call (and which device). I just want to have some solid info (and advice) before I go in. Thanks everyone who's posted so far! Anyone else?

That's the way to do it. I would look for phones that meet your requirements, dimensions, screen size, cpu, ram, etc. and then look up reviews from sites you go to for phone info. AC, BGR, Engadget, etc. Read the reviews, see what they think, narrow it down, you can even post on here if you need help (phone 1 vs. phone 2 vs phone 3 style). Then when you have smaller list of phones you can go down to a place and see them in person. That's how I handled it and I've been extremely happy with my X2 (generally, last update has me a little annoyed, hehe). And, sorry if you knew all this stuff, I don't mean to sound patronizing or anything. O:)

PoorBoy52760

Banned
Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Looks like they are different phones, check the specs on the right hand side.

Samsung Infuse 4G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Samsung Galaxy S II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's the way to do it. I would look for phones that meet your requirements, dimensions, screen size, cpu, ram, etc. and then look up reviews from sites you go to for phone info. AC, BGR, Engadget, etc. Read the reviews, see what they think, narrow it down, you can even post on here if you need help (phone 1 vs. phone 2 vs phone 3 style). Then when you have smaller list of phones you can go down to a place and see them in person. That's how I handled it and I've been extremely happy with my X2 (generally, last update has me a little annoyed, hehe). And, sorry if you knew all this stuff, I don't mean to sound patronizing or anything. O:)

I agree you should get what you will be happy with unfortunatly for me i had to get what i could afford in the android phone. now that i have it i want more....... i went from being a Windows Phone 6.5 user to android and found there is a TON more i can do with it. so it brings the question to mind with a choice like screensize 3.5inchs or 4.5inches. with onscreen keyboards i would rather have the 4.5 (as i have kinda fat fingers) unfortunatly for me i have a 3.2 inch screen right now... looking into a Epic or Infuse myself for the 4.5 inch screen... i know they can be switched from Sprint, the carrier here to my service with the right flashing software....

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
My original point still holds though, you just have to factor in price. You still should follow those guidelines. I would have done the same and included price if I had to.

But, honestly, if you are going to have a phone for a couple of years, it might be worth it to drop 100 or 150 bucks and be happy with your phone then get a free phone and be just meh about it. I'm sure I could have gotten a free 3.5 inch screen when I bought my phone, but, I wanted my 4.3 inch screen, and, was willing to pay for it ($120). But, now I think I'd probably want a 5.0 inch. I don't think I can go any bigger though... for now. :p

You have to shop around though. Newegg, TigerDirect, Amazon, Costco, BJs, Sams Club... I can't think of any others. I got a great deal at Costco, and, they gave me an okay bundle. Only really useful thing was the car charger. Also, Costco only has a 14 day return for full refund BUT you can swap your phone for a different one without breaking contract for 90 days. Pretty sweet.

dmnall

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I would suggest wait until Rogers gets the Samsung Galaxy S2 in my opinion or buy either an att sgs 2 or international i9100 unlocked. The att version will be cheaper and unlocking one is very easy after you root it.. That way you can save your contract, buying the one of the current android phones for a penny would not be bad, however, from what I am reading the sgs2 is coming in an lte version. And the 8 GB vs 16 GB is also for pictures, movies and music, so double the memory is not a bad thing at all when considering onboard storage, plus as soon as the 64 gb microsdxc card comes down in price, I have heard they will work in current phones like the sgs and sgs2. Just need to reformat them in the phone.

HTH,
Charlie

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude