I've got an iPod Touch and a Droid, and I want to stop carrying one of them. The problem is getting the music and podcasts to the Droid. Ideally, I'd like to get rid of iTunes at the same time and that is the largest problem I'm having.

I know of DoubleTwist and iSyncr to sync the Droid to iTunes, and I have iSyncr. However, it is oh so very SLOW! I can do a wipe and reload of my iPod (~27GB of music) is less than an hour. Putting ~17GB of that same music onto the Droid takes several hours at least, and updating the content when there is less than 100 tracks to swap out takes over 30 minutes. This is via USB2, by the way. Would using the WiFi addon to iSyncr be faster?

As for iTunes, if I get rid of the iPod, I don't really have any need to keep iTunes around, except that I have so far been unable to find another manager/player that works right IMO. Windows Media Player is actually worse here, and is itself god-awful SLOW, I don't like the UI of MediaMonkey, and due to the way all the media players on the Droid work, I need to use meta-playlists on the Droid to get ONLY the music and not the ringtones and other system media files and Winamp does not seem to do that.

In iTunes, I currently have a combination of static and smart playlists that get rotated in and out of a master smart playlist depending on the time of year in addition to some that are always in. On the iPod Touch, I can just tell it to randomize all songs because it knows the difference between music, audio books, podcasts, and its own system media. The Droid does not, so I need to use meta-playlists to combine my ratings based, last-played based smart lists with my seasonal static lists.
    10-16-2011 11:37 AM
    You can get rid of the ipod...
    Easiest Solution:
    Sign up for Google Music Beta, keep iTunes and sync your iTunes to the Cloud (will take forever, but only needs to be done once). Download google music on your phone. Go into settings and select your account associated with google music and your songs will appear on the phone. You can create playlists directly on the device despite none of the songs being stored on your device (frees up a lot of space!). If you are going to be away from a data connection, you can download the songs to the sd card and cache them.

For podcasts, get something like stitcher or other podcast grabber. I don't use any, so I have no real recommendation on which app, but there are plenty of good ones.
    sparkY166 likes this.
    10-16-2011 04:25 PM
    I'm not going to use a cloud service / streaming for my own music collection.

For one thing, going that route at a time when the cell carriers are doing away with unlimited data is, IMO, stupid. With a 2GB quota, that's only about 500 songs - for the month - never mind email, the data hungry Google sync options, web browsing, Twitter, Facebook, etc.

For another, that is entirely coverage dependent and I am too often in areas of poor to non-existent cellular coverage.

For a third, running the data connection that much will kill the battery.
    10-17-2011 04:41 PM
    I'm not going to use a cloud service / streaming for my own music collection.

For one thing, going that route at a time when the cell carriers are doing away with unlimited data is, IMO, stupid. With a 2GB quota, that's only about 500 songs - for the month - never mind email, the data hungry Google sync options, web browsing, Twitter, Facebook, etc.

For another, that is entirely coverage dependent and I am too often in areas of poor to non-existent cellular coverage.

For a third, running the data connection that much will kill the battery.
    Meh, not an issue for me. I've been using it since the launch of google beta. I have unlimited data on verizon. Florida has great coverage for most carriers, but verizon even has coverage in the everglades (yeah, 3G coverage in a place no one lives except the alligators). I use an ipod for nike+, but I use my phone to listen to music or watch netflix while I run on the treadmill. I like being able to make playlists on the fly without slowing down (or even not being able to do on my ipod). This is most certainly a great option if you have an unlimited plan. Also, you can cache songs while you're in wifi and not use any data at all.
    10-17-2011 06:20 PM
    Meh, not an issue for me. I've been using it since the launch of google beta. I have unlimited data on verizon.
    So do I, but that's only going to last another... three years. I'm halfway through my current contract and VZW has stated that pre-existing customers will get ONE contract renewal with unlimited data and then will be on a metered data plan after that.

Florida has great coverage for most carriers, but verizon even has coverage in the everglades (yeah, 3G coverage in a place no one lives except the alligators).
    I'm in NH, and there is zero coverage from anybody in some of the recreational places I go to in the mountains. There is also zero coverage (from VZW at least) ON the beaches at Hampton (from the maps it looks like an intentional coverage shaping because there is strong coverage on the other side of the street). I have relatives who live in a city in MA that has no towers (from anyone, it's a NIMBY town) so coverage there sucks and just being there drains my battery as the phone keeps trying to find a decent signal.

I use an ipod for nike+, but I use my phone to listen to music or watch netflix while I run on the treadmill. I like being able to make playlists on the fly without slowing down (or even not being able to do on my ipod). This is most certainly a great option if you have an unlimited plan. Also, you can cache songs while you're in wifi and not use any data at all.
    If I'm going to cache the music on the device, I may as well just sync it from my PC. Thus eliminating the claimed advantage of using a streaming service.
    10-17-2011 07:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD