Possible to use Handcent to send texts through GV and still free?

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I have heard accounts of being able to use Google Voice through Handcent, but, am unable to find a clear answer. And, some people even mentioned that even though it appears to be working, it wasn't and they were still using text messages according to their carrier. But, for the most part, I have found people saying that it simply does not work. I tried messing with it, but, couldn't get it to work properly either.

I don't have a text message plan, and, use Google Voice for it's free text messages, of course, hehe. Can anyone confirm that they use Handcent to send messages and it goes through Google Voice and you are not charged for using a text message? If so, any details how this is accomplished would be appreciated.

Or if anyone can confirm that it does not work, that'd be good too. Hehe. Thanks!!

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Possible to use Handcent to send texts through GV and still f

Well Dev, I don't know much about Google voice. My provider here considers me a corporate customer, and I get sms free on my tab's data only plan, including international sms.

One of the advantages of living in Russia, and having many GF's.

However, I remember, in my Nokia days a few years ago, when I visited the states and didn't wish to get charged for international sms, you could latch onto several "sms handlers" and get free sms. And yes, it is legal to do this because it's public domain, and it's open to everyone.It just amounted to changing your sms handler number, to one that was "open". It's sorta hit and miss. Most regional and national phone companies have open sms handlers, and seeings they are not a provider, they allow you to "piggyback" on their servers.

Of course if they start to get overloaded, they may put the clamps down.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

Haha, I knew it was gonna be you that answered this Moscow. :D

Hahaha, I didn't know you were such a pimp!! They are gonna have to add a pimp emoticon for you. ;)

Well, it's not so much the free part that is the issue. I already get free texts through GV, albeit it might not be SMS, most likely goes through data. I have a separate number for it and I have trained everyone to only text that number. Now I just want to mess around with and check out Handcent, but, I can't do so unless I can get it to send out my text messages via GV. It looks like there is some comparability in the menus if I recall (I already uninstalled, wont reinstall until someone tells me I can, hehe), but, I couldn't get it to work. Was always going out through my cell number, not my GV number.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, you know me ;)

Actually I use handcent. When I get a chance, I'll look into it.

But for now, I'm enjoying my newly installed 5gb wireless in my flat!

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

Haha.

Awesome, I mean, don't go out of your way or anything. I think you'd need a GV number to thoroughly test it, dunno if you have one.

Noice!! I'll bet you are.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

I have heard accounts of being able to use Google Voice through Handcent, but, am unable to find a clear answer. And, some people even mentioned that even though it appears to be working, it wasn't and they were still using text messages according to their carrier. But, for the most part, I have found people saying that it simply does not work. I tried messing with it, but, couldn't get it to work properly either.

I don't have a text message plan, and, use Google Voice for it's free text messages, of course, hehe. Can anyone confirm that they use Handcent to send messages and it goes through Google Voice and you are not charged for using a text message? If so, any details how this is accomplished would be appreciated.

Or if anyone can confirm that it does not work, that'd be good too. Hehe. Thanks!!

Anyone else have input?

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

Man, I hope you are wrong, haha. I hope someone else can chime in to the contrary.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

Okay, one last bump before I give up on this. Anyone have any input?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I think you might be out of luck on this one. Unless Handcent specifically add support for GV texts, you'll have to use Google's app.

Sent from my Google Nexus S

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

Yea, I mean, that's kinda what I figured, was just hoping/curious. I already uninstalled it, but, I thought I remembered some reference to GV in one of the Handcent menus. Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly. I don't know, and, I don't feel like installing it again. I've given up on it, just figured I'd give it one last bump. Thanks.

BBBay

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Yes. I had this set up. I believe I did it originally thru the gvoice program.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463