Can an Android phone be used as a WiFi only device?

MrBigFeathers

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering if I could purchase an Android device from eBay and use it without service. Like to browse the web, download apps, etc. Would it need to be rooted first? Will it work stock? Not work at all?

Thanks.

HDGuru7

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
I use my Sprint HTC Hero this way. I am currently using a BB Tour because of work and traveling abroad. But the Hero connects to my wifi router just fine. I can surf, download apps off the market place and listen to music to it, etc. I did this on the stock 1.5 firmware and now with the 2.1 leak.

So I would say, go for it!

ecaggiani

Feb 18, 2010
www.zazzle.com
I am doing this with the Nexus One I just got (from the "Win Phil's Nexus One" contest) and it is awesome. I got it setup to do VOIP calling for free in the US using a combination of SipDroid, sipsorcery.com, and Google Voice, so now I can use it as a phone wherever I have Wi-Fi. :)

MrBigFeathers

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I am doing this with the Nexus One I just got (from the "Win Phil's Nexus One" contest) and it is awesome. I got it setup to do VOIP calling for free in the US using a combination of SipDroid, sipsorcery.com, and Google Voice, so now I can use it as a phone wherever I have Wi-Fi. :)

Did you need an active SIM card to initially set the device up?

Blacker.the.berry

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Im on verizon doing it with my Moto droid. I re-activated my BB because of its rock solid email client, and the ability customize profiles (something the droid lacks big time) It works the exact same with the exception of no phone. I get emails, can download from the market, IM, etc...

However I am looking for a good VOIP app that I can use. "friend caller works so/so but its really buggy and inconsistent.

netarc

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
If you purchase the phone used and it's in a deactivated state, how do you bring it back? I've read a bit about "bypass activation" codes, which seem to be specific to a given model of phone ... will using said code - assuming you can find it for your phone - allow you to use the phone in wifi-only mode? More importantly, does the code need to be entered each time you restart the phone, or is bypassing activation once sufficient?

Finally, if one is using a phone in wifi only mode, I'm guessing that you can't get OS updates?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49