Blackberry users that have switched to Android.

Foulwx

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I left my BB9630 for a Sprint Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch about a month ago. Overall, I'm very happy I did.

Things to consider:

I can't one-handed type a text like I could with a physical keyboard. I bought Swiftkey+, and also like the Swype keyboard. I just have to use two hands (the Sprint galaxy is especially large)

I do miss BerryBuzz. I had many different notifications/flashing LEDs set up. Now I actually have to look at the notification to see what it is.

Never really used BBM, so that wasn't a player.

For the android - tremendous screen, high speed browser. In fact, Dolphin HD is the only browser that gets me into my company's program that I need to run. Excellent assortment of programs in the market and other places. Again, I use a program for work that only runs on the android and iphone systems.

My phone reception is much better than on my old Tour. Of course, it didn't have wifi so I'm really happy with the new phones. Sprint's 4G is exellent when you can get it, but I usually have a wifi connection when I'm doing any serious work.

I just saw the lack of innovation at RIM. I hope their new OS works out, but I was concerned it is too little, too late.

Good luck

Reactions: Bye Berry

Bye Berry

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Can one put all of their messages, multiple email accounts, texts, IM's, all in one folder like a Blackberry? Can all of the notifications be customized? Do Android phones have a beside mode?

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
There are several email apps that have a unified Inbox. Apps like K-9 Mail and MailDroid have a unified inbox which will display all emails from multiple accounts in one inbox (you can even color-code the different accounts). You won't get SMS in the same inbox, since Android uses different apps for them.

You can use something like Executive Assistant to have a Today screen, which can display missed calls, SMS, emails, appointments, tasks (depending on the task app you use) and such all on one of your home screens. Clicking on each section would open the appropriate program.

Notifications can be customized. You can even set up ringtones fro categories, as well as individuals. Apps can even be set up with their own notification sound (depending on the app). You can also use an app like Quick Profiles to set up different sound profiles. Some of the profiles I have include Sleep (most sounds turned off, some set to quiet, vibrate turned off), Driving (wifi turned off, bluetooth turned on, brightness set to auto, volumes adjusted), and Home (wifi on, bluetooth off, brightness set to dim).

There is an app called Bedside that will give you bedside mode on Android.

You have to remember that everything on Android is an app. So, you can swap out different applications to suit your needs. Also, remember that an Android is not a BlackBerry, so you shouldn't expect it to work exactly the same way (such as having SMS/BBM/Email all in the same inbox). There are plenty of apps out there that will help with the transition between the two, though.

Bye Berry

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
You have to remember that everything on Android is an app. So, you can swap out different applications to suit your needs. Also, remember that an Android is not a BlackBerry, so you shouldn't expect it to work exactly the same way (such as having SMS/BBM/Email all in the same inbox). There are plenty of apps out there that will help with the transition between the two, though.

Really helpful advice. I realize that Android is different than Blackberry. Just curious about certain things that I take for granted on my BB that I may miss if I switch to another platform.

SnitGTS

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Bye Berry,

I might be a little late to the party, but I figured I'd throw my 2 cents in since I have both a Blackberry and an Android. The Blackberry is my work phone, unfortunately I work for a company that will not give us anything other then a Blackberry. My personal phone is the HTC Rezound (just upgraded from the HTC Droid Incredible).

To be honest, I actually use my personal Android phone more at work then I do my Blackberry! You said you're in sales, I assume you are on the road a lot and driving to customer's sites? Well, if you have their address in your contacts you can just hit the navigate button and you instantly have GPS directions to their location! If you are worried about traffic, you can check real time traffic updates on Google Maps. Need to find the cheapest parking when you get there? (Best Parking) Need to find a nice place to take a client out to lunch? (Yelp, Urbanspoon) Perhaps you're taking public transportation and need to know which bus or train to take or when they are scheduled to leave? (various apps for different locations) There are apps for all of these things! Seriously, Android's are the modern day Swiss Army Knife! You can find apps to do just about everything, you just have to adjust your thinking to be outside of the "Blackberry" box.

Really, all I use my Blackberry for is phone calls and e-mails. (and that's only because I don't have a choice!)

Bye Berry

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Bye Berry,

I might be a little late to the party, but I figured I'd throw my 2 cents in since I have both a Blackberry and an Android. The Blackberry is my work phone, unfortunately I work for a company that will not give us anything other then a Blackberry. My personal phone is the HTC Rezound (just upgraded from the HTC Droid Incredible).

To be honest, I actually use my personal Android phone more at work then I do my Blackberry! You said you're in sales, I assume you are on the road a lot and driving to customer's sites? Well, if you have their address in your contacts you can just hit the navigate button and you instantly have GPS directions to their location! If you are worried about traffic, you can check real time traffic updates on Google Maps. Need to find the cheapest parking when you get there? (Best Parking) Need to find a nice place to take a client out to lunch? (Yelp, Urbanspoon) Perhaps you're taking public transportation and need to know which bus or train to take or when they are scheduled to leave? (various apps for different locations) There are apps for all of these things! Seriously, Android's are the modern day Swiss Army Knife! You can find apps to do just about everything, you just have to adjust your thinking to be outside of the "Blackberry" box.

Really, all I use my Blackberry for is phone calls and e-mails. (and that's only because I don't have a choice!)

Thanks for the input. Out of curiosity, I went and checked BlackBerry App World for the applications you mentioned. They were all there or something similar.

Which apps are exclusive to Android that enhance the Android experience that are not available on BlackBerry?

Last edited:

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I left my BB9630 for a Sprint Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch about a month ago. Overall, I'm very happy I did.

Things to consider:

I can't one-handed type a text like I could with a physical keyboard. I bought Swiftkey+, and also like the Swype keyboard. I just have to use two hands (the Sprint galaxy is especially large)

I do miss BerryBuzz. I had many different notifications/flashing LEDs set up. Now I actually have to look at the notification to see what it is.

Never really used BBM, so that wasn't a player.

For the android - tremendous screen, high speed browser. In fact, Dolphin HD is the only browser that gets me into my company's program that I need to run. Excellent assortment of programs in the market and other places. Again, I use a program for work that only runs on the android and iphone systems.

My phone reception is much better than on my old Tour. Of course, it didn't have wifi so I'm really happy with the new phones. Sprint's 4G is exellent when you can get it, but I usually have a wifi connection when I'm doing any serious work.

I just saw the lack of innovation at RIM. I hope their new OS works out, but I was concerned it is too little, too late.

Good luck

I had Android Tablet for couple of weeks but i back with my Playbook. I am happy 9810 user and cannot wait for BB10. I prefer BB over Android because of : better battery life, security, keyboard and superior messaging. I do not care much for all apps in the world. I have about 80 of them installed on 9810 and I do need more.

Sent from TapaTalk 2 for Blackberry Playbook

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Can one put all of their messages, multiple email accounts, texts, IM's, all in one folder like a Blackberry? Can all of the notifications be customized? Do Android phones have a beside mode?

BB 7.1 is really good os with free mobile hotspot I use every day. I wish I got 9900. the best looking phone out there
personally I think Bb10 will outclass Android and Ios phones. it took long time to get bb10 but this will be all new os not just upgrade of old os.

my personal opinion is that many will go back to blackberry once new os is out. current os has its issues and I can see why many do not like it. os7 is superb work horse but it is not as responsive as competiton.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I was a very reluctant Blackberry to Android convert but finally left BB after being sick of the phone freezing up, lagging, pulling the battery. I use my phone mainly for heavy typing tasks so leaving the real keyboard was the toughest thing to get around. I've had the HTC EVO Design for a week now and here are the issues I have that I haven't been able to come to terms with:
1. Typing on the virtual keyboard is slower than BB and I don't think time will get me back to the speed I typed on the BB.
2. Spell check is non-existent. The device corrects words as you type, which further slows down the process. Worse yet is if you don't catch it correcting, it will replace a word you are typing with a word that makes no sense.
3. Email pushes fine from Exchange and Gmail but no mail notification on the Gmail icon is annoying. Push email does drain the battery a lot.
4. Cannot search for emails on the exchange server. This drives me crazy.
5. Cannot set a nickname for contacts. This was useful on the BB as I didn't have to type the whole name ie, Liz instead of Elizabeth.

These issues were some of my biggest fears and they've been realized. It's nice to have some of the Apps but they don't improve my productivity and therefore are just fluff or for fun. At the end of the day, I miss the BB experience but not sure going back to the dark ages is the right solution as all phones will inevitably be touchscreen someday soon. So I'm sticking with the Droid for now and praying that Android increases the user experience when it comes to typing and email.

perosnally I think that you will go back to bb once os10 is out. there many ex-users like you who switched brands but are willing to give bb another try.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking of switching to the SGS2 from a blackberry also.
And playing around with my friends' android phone, I know i won't miss the laggy web browser, boot time, small screen, battery pull, and lack of cool apps. Although I love the bb keyboard, design, and trackpad, I think it's time to move on into the fast and more convenient life of an android.

wait for bb10. os10 will blow android out of the water.

mbnocx

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Hey bitek, since you are a huge fan of BlackBerry then why are you not on the Crackberry site instead? Instead of trolling just stick with what you like. As a former BB user, I will never go back. I could care less what BB10 or whatever version comes out does. Android kills the competition. Have fun with your BB though. LOL

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Hey bitek, since you are a huge fan of BlackBerry then why are you not on the Crackberry site instead? Instead of trolling just stick with what you like. As a former BB user, I will never go back. I could care less what BB10 or whatever version comes out does. Android kills the competition. Have fun with your BB though. LOL

I am on crackberry all the time but just like many android and ios users come to visit crackberry from time to time I like to visit android central from time to time. also never say never.

Blackberry 9810 (OS 7.1) and Blackberry Playbook 64Gb

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I am on crackberry all the time but just like many android and ios users come to visit crackberry from time to time I like to visit android central from time to time. also never say never.

Nothing wrong with comparing devices, but to say that something that is not out yet (BB10) is going to blow Android out of the water makes no sense. I hope it is successful also, but will wait until the facts tell the story.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Nothing wrong with comparing devices, but to say that something that is not out yet (BB10) is going to blow Android out of the water makes no sense. I hope it is successful also, but will wait until the facts tell the story.

you do have a valid point. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech