Hi.
    More games these days create all kinds of annoying notifications and don't allow you to disable them - some are ads, some are "helpful pointers" about something happening in your game, some are "helpful notifications" that user x has just sent you a gift basket - and all of them use the same notification sound as SMS messages, and all of them are signs that these games keep running in the background without your permission.

The annoying part is that I use SMS on occasion for work, so I need to keep the notification open and audible for that, and then these games just keep chiming in. It's also very disruptive at work when you can't turn it off without losing SMS notifications.

Some of these games I've tried out that do this are:
    - Paradise Island (which I used to like more before it started doing this)
    - We Rule (whose tech support has flat out told me they had no plans of allowing the user to choose whether or not to use these notifications)
    - CK Zombies (which has an option to disable Notifications, but I have no idea if that's the same kind of notification or not - I just got my first notification from that game and was ready to delete it flat out, but decided to try that setting first - we'll see...)

Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

I guess I could see two approaches - a notification blocker, or one of these task killer apps. I haven't heard of a notification blocker, and some of the things I've read about task killers seem to indicate that they can be two-edged swords at times (please correct me if I'm wrong).

My phone is rooted, so I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get my peace again.

I wish there was a place to complain that would cause these programmers to think about what they're doing, but I guess they're not likely to take notice...

Oh, forgot to mention that I switched to a non-standard SMS program (GO SMS Pro) that seems to be able to at least block other SMS programs from using the notification system, so maybe a notification blocker is not completely out of the question...

Please note: These are not ads, so an ad blocker will not work...

Thanks in advance for any advice!
    11-07-2011 07:47 AM
    You could have more than just a few apps doing this other than games. The problem is from the "free" apps. Devs have to make some money somehow. With the paid versions you don't get this.

If you can't stop the notif's in the games settings, you can kill the process through Application manager. (will probably start again eventually) Also, I believe Astro Filemanager can "freeze" the app.

Also there are Airpush apps on the market which will find some other culprits responsible. I just killed one from a live wallpaper I recently downloaded.

But if it's a particular game that's annoying, I would just remove it.

Personally, adding an app that uses resources to kill other apps or their notifications is counterproductive. And you'll be killing them off all the time, as the apps will always restart eventually.
    11-07-2011 09:14 AM
    https://market.android.com/details?i...50YXNrZXJtIl0.

That is for Tasker. There are other apps in the market that allow you to set sound profiles and keep apps silent and others active. Tasker is a bit pricey. Especially if it does not meet your needs. Search the market for Sound/Notification profiles and see if you find a free version or trial that does what you need to do.
    11-07-2011 09:20 AM
    Thanks for the replies.

1. It's not ads - if it were ads, I could use the ad blocking app I heard mentioned before. The games just constantly nag me with "this person wrote to your profile" or "there is a chest on your island" - things that could be considered useful if they didn't use the same sound as SMS notifications.
    Which brings me to my second point:

2. I don't want to disable all notifications - only the ones that are NOT SMS - I still need to be able to hear SMS messages coming in, but these notifications use the same sound.

I'm aware that task killers use resources, but I'm less worried about the resources right now and more about getting these games to quiet down for now until I have bugged the programmers enough to allow users to disable these :-)

So I'd probably need a task killer that can freeze background tasks or constantly watch and kill them as they come up - but ONLY the background tasks, not the actual games...
    11-08-2011 07:44 AM
    Thanks for the replies.

1. It's not ads - if it were ads, I could use the ad blocking app I heard mentioned before. The games just constantly nag me with "this person wrote to your profile" or "there is a chest on your island" - things that could be considered useful if they didn't use the same sound as SMS notifications.
    Which brings me to my second point:

2. I don't want to disable all notifications - only the ones that are NOT SMS - I still need to be able to hear SMS messages coming in, but these notifications use the same sound.

I'm aware that task killers use resources, but I'm less worried about the resources right now and more about getting these games to quiet down for now until I have bugged the programmers enough to allow users to disable these :-)

So I'd probably need a task killer that can freeze background tasks or constantly watch and kill them as they come up - but ONLY the background tasks, not the actual games...
    Did you try the "tasker" app that srk mentioned?

Normally, I would not advise 1 resource eating app, to kill another. But if you insist on running a game/app, that you cannot change the settings for, well, that is your choice.
    11-08-2011 08:13 AM
    I haven't tried tasker yet, but I will at least give it a shot.

Generally, I agree that running one program to prevent another program from running is a waste of resources, but in my case it's not about the resources - I don't want to kill these processes because they slow me down, but because they annoy me. And I am hoping that this will only be a temporary solution until the programmers decide to offer disabling of these notifications.

Thanks!
    11-08-2011 09:35 PM
    No problem.

Sorry if I am a little hard. With all the apps and games out there we don't always know how they will behave, And I tell you, if one doesn't behave like I want., Hasta la vista baby. Ok, so I lost a combo meal, Ok, no tears.
    11-10-2011 12:08 PM
    No, I totally get it...
    Frankly, I wouldn't keep playing it - actually, I AM NOT playing it myself - my wife got addicted to one of the games, and she tends to stay up later, so I like to let her have my phone to play it...
    11-10-2011 07:00 PM
    No, I totally get it...
    Frankly, I wouldn't keep playing it - actually, I AM NOT playing it myself - my wife got addicted to one of the games, and she tends to stay up later, so I like to let her have my phone to play it...
    You should get her a Tab for X-Mas My preggy wife steals mine from me all the time!!
    11-11-2011 12:55 AM
    Heh, once I've gotten over the debts of 20 months of unemployment AND once this particular game is available for pads, maybe :-D
    11-11-2011 07:36 AM
    Plus one for a new tablet . Did you find a solution?
    11-11-2011 09:09 PM
    No luck :-(
    I contacted support again for the game that is the most annoying, and they still have no plans to allow users to disable the notifications.
    So I sent them my feedback saying that I'll uninstall it and avoid their products and why.

I'm a little bummed that there was no solution out there for me...
    Yes, I did look at Tasker, but it sounds pretty complicated to implement what I need, and there was no guarantee that it would have worked.
    11-12-2011 06:13 PM
    I don't know about Go SMS, but I use Handcent and I can set the notification sound to something different than the default notification ringtone set through Settings>Sound. So if I was trying to do what you are I'd set my default notification sound as Silent, and set my SMS notification to something through Handcent. The notifications would still come, but I wouldn't have to hear it. You may want to check the settings of Go SMS to see if you can do something similar.
    rlyell likes this.
    11-12-2011 07:11 PM
    You know, for some reason I had that exact same thought when I woke up this morning - what if I could get the Go SMS notification to separate from these game notifications?

I just checked Go SMS, and yes, it also has the ability to let you choose your notification sound. So I tried setting my usual sound and then turned off all notifications to silent. That also turned off Go SMS...

But then I realized this: I can set the regular notifications to the ringtone "SILENT" and then set Go SMS to my regular ringtone!

So now Go SMS rings normally when an SMS comes in, and if everything works, any other system notification should be silent from now on!

I'll still get the visual notifications, but at least they won't interrupt my work day anymore!
    So, at least a partial possible solution - my wife has my phone right now to work on the game so we can test if this works (yea, that's the ONLY reason she has my phone, hehe...).

Thanks for the suggestion!
    rlyell likes this.
    11-13-2011 03:08 PM
    I tried this on the RAZR and Droid 2, but the system setting of silent overrides the GoSMSPro settings.
    My wife would like to silence all email/Facebook notifications, but leave SMS notifications on so we can hear if our kids text at night. Will keep searching and appreciate any comments or finds.
    11-26-2011 05:58 AM
    rlyell, maybe I didn't word it well enough, but I didn't set notification to silent - I went into the ringtones selection and picked the one on top of the list CALLED "Silent" - so there IS a ringtone assigned, and the volume is at a normal level - just the sound itself that I picked does not produce any sound.
    Try that - that should work unless your version of Android doesn't have the "Silent" ringtone - in which case you can simply create an empty 5 second or so MP3 file and add that to your ringtones on the media card (I think it goes under /sdcard/media/ringtones or /sdcard/media/notifications).
    11-26-2011 10:50 AM
    Yeah, the RAZR doesn't have a"Silent" ringtone. I'll have to create one. Thanks, will give it a try.
    11-26-2011 10:55 AM
    Ah, that would explain that :-)
    If you have trouble creating one (and judging from your avatar you probably won't), let me know, and I can create and post one.
    11-26-2011 11:04 AM
    Just remember, android can be a little picky with the bit-rates. Might have to do a few. Usually, you only have this issue, if you try to replace the notifications within the apk's (game files).
    11-26-2011 12:39 PM
    One option that u can try is, if ur able to, go into the settings of the app or game and see if u can silence the sound.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    11-26-2011 03:12 PM
    Ok, I just checked some apps on my epic, and they have a notification setting under settings...so u shouldn't have a problem changing it from there.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    11-26-2011 03:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD