What you should know about Google contacts for new Android users?

Tattrpuff

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
What should you know about Google contacts for new Android users?

I swear I saw a article on the front page a while back that basically went over all you need to know about cleaning up your contacts in Gmail and old phone to transfer to your new Android device. Does anyone remember this?

Last edited:

Tattrpuff

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Maybe, I didn't see it. Ok lets try this, does any of you have any tips or tricks on cleaning up Gmail and Blackberry contacts and combining them into Gmail contacts?

Rowebote

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if this is the right/best way but this is what I am trying. I installed Google sync on my BB then after it synced I used the merge feature in my gmail contacts. It appears to have worked well for my BB and I'm hoping it goes well when I get the EVO in a few weeks. Maybe someone that has actually gone through the process can chime in.

king244

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
that is exactly what i did with my bb bold 9000....then when i got the n1 i synced to my gmail or gvoice and wham, everything in the phone....very easy to do and one of the great features of having a google phone

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Not sure if this is the right/best way but this is what I am trying. I installed Google sync on my BB then after it synced I used the merge feature in my gmail contacts. It appears to have worked well for my BB and I'm hoping it goes well when I get the EVO in a few weeks. Maybe someone that has actually gone through the process can chime in.

That's exactly what I did when I switch from a BB to Android as my daily use phone. Sync everything from your BB to Gmail using gmail sync for BB. Open your contacts page on a computer to double check the merging, and everything will sync when you activate a gmail address on your new Android phone.

bagger

May 7, 2010
Visit site
SWEET! I'm sync'ing my Blackberry as we speak! So now all I need Best Buy to do is activate my EVO and get my phone number on it! Contacts, check!

BB said they didn't know if their phone number transfer thing would work on the EVO or not right away, so this rocks!

Tattrpuff

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
That's exactly what I did when I switch from a BB to Android as my daily use phone. Sync everything from your BB to Gmail using gmail sync for BB. Open your contacts page on a computer to double check the merging, and everything will sync when you activate a gmail address on your new Android phone.

Perfect everyone! As I have a BB pearl, this should work out great. I currently have Google sync set up with my iPod Touch and have already done this before, just now have to do it with my BB, so I don't miss any numbers I may have added since. Thanks for help!

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
You may already know this... but, just in case..

Be sure that the gmail address you use to activate the device is definitely the one you want to be associated with the device (talk account, google voice, market purchases, map locations, etc.)

I know this sounds silly. But, I had to do a factory reset to remove a gmail address from the device that I mistakenly used to activate it.

I was a yahoo user and did not have a gmail account that was "active". I had an old one from years ago and pulled the password and user name out of the back of my mind somehow while I was in the store activating the device. I figured I would create a better and more professional gmail account at home and switch then. No dice, once it's made the primary account you are married to that address on that device unless you do a factory reset, which isn't the end of the world. But, a pain nonetheless.

so... just make sure that when putting all of your contacts into a gmail account that it's the one you want to be the primary for all time.

Tattrpuff

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
You may already know this... but, just in case..

Be sure that the gmail address you use to activate the device is definitely the one you want to be associated with the device (talk account, google voice, market purchases, map locations, etc.)

I know this sounds silly. But, I had to do a factory reset to remove a gmail address from the device that I mistakenly used to activate it.

I was a yahoo user and did not have a gmail account that was "active". I had an old one from years ago and pulled the password and user name out of the back of my mind somehow while I was in the store activating the device. I figured I would create a better and more professional gmail account at home and switch then. No dice, once it's made the primary account you are married to that address on that device unless you do a factory reset, which isn't the end of the world. But, a pain nonetheless.

so... just make sure that when putting all of your contacts into a gmail account that it's the one you want to be the primary for all time.

Good info! I went Google about 6 months ago and only have one account, so should work out well for me!

Oh and the Blackberry Google sync worked perfect! I was able to sync and merge and then go through and just edit or delete the crap. I added last names and completed each of the contacts! I now have a beautiful clean address book! Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm