Major change coming for this long time Blackberry user.

rstites38829

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Let me start by saying my phone is the most important part of my job. I have been a Blackberry/AT & T user for 4 years now. I have tried a few android phones as secondary phones but have never did a full commitment that forced me to learn the Android device. I have made up my mind and this Friday, I'm moving my main # that i have had for 17 years with AT and T over to Verizon and the new Razr. I realize there is going to be a learning curve with the touch screen but i think i can manage that. Here is what i need help with.
What are some simple tips and tricks that will jump start me in the rite direction to love this phone? I fear if i don't get started off good, i will get pulled back to a Blackberry. Does the voice to text feature work good? Is it standard or an app? What about notifications? Is there an app that lets me set that up for several contacts email/sms/facebook, different sound for all? Little things like that would help out a lot. If i don't get started off in the rite direction, that Blackberry Bold on the Verizon network is going to taunt me bad.

jbliv63

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I had 3 BBs, all keyboards, and moved over this past month, no looking back. Touchscreen typing takes some adjustment, but now I type just fine on it. Not sure what you mean by voice to text, but the keyboard always has a talk option, regardless of app, and the translation is solid. Notifications are a bit different with the slide-down panel, but I must say it works just as well as a BB, with notification icons in the bar, then pull down the bar to view the notifications and open the apps. I'm not aware that I can change notification sounds for different apps for different people; at least I can't see that I can do that. Good luck.

androidtechrep

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
For your voice-to-text question, I would go with the free app Vlingo. The voice recognition is excellent and it does more than just voice-to-text. You can put it in car-mode while driving and tell it to find a particular business and it will go straight to Google Maps, locate the business, and give you turn-by-turn audio directions. It will also let you update social network statuses without typing anything. It opens apps on voice command, as well. If you turn SafeReader on it will read all incoming texts and emails to you. It is freaking awesome!!!