Password Keeper- Any good ones?

OzMan1982

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,

I recently got my first Android phone, a Samsung Galaxy through t-Mobile. So far I love it! With that said, I'm still learning the ropes on my new device and had a question.

I was on a BlackBerry device for the past 3 years, and one feature it had on it that I liked was an account/ password keeper which came on the phone. I have a lot of passwords/ usernames that I store for work and was looking for a similar password keeper for my new Samsung. And yes, I've searched the Android Market and found a few, but I wanted to know if there are any in particular that the Android community recommends. Is there a particular password/ account keeper anyone would recommend? I want a safe, secure password keeper to store sensitive info.

Also, I'm on Froyo 2.2. Does my device have a password keeper on it already?

Any recommendations would be tremendously appreciated. Thanks!

leprechaunshawn

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I’m gonna have to check out KeePass for the desktop, especially if it will allow me to back up what I have on my KeePassDroid. My wife’s microSD card recently crashed and she lost everything she had stored in KeePassDroid.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i use a password protected MS Word File with Strong Encryption and Documents To Go. the beauty is you can open this file on any device in the world with MS Word or Docs To Go. Docs To Go supports Office 2007+ Super Strong 128 Bit Encryption/Password.

i like the free-flow format and the open standard of an MS Word File. i don't like relying on some mom and pop locked black box proprietary closed format. and MS Word and Docs To Go is free if you already have it.

i then use Dropbox and simply dump this Word file in my Dropbox so it is available to me from any device anywhere in the world and it is always updated and in sync.

Last edited:

DataHawg

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Last Pass beats everything hands down. I've been using it for a long time and it's highly recommended for safety and security by Steve Gibson. He did an entire podcast about it on Security Now. You can still download the Mp3 from the archives and listen to it if interested.
I have the plugin installed on my pc for auto login to all my secure sites and it auto syncs with your phone. I don't even know most of my passwords. I let Last Pass handle it for me. The only password I need to remember is my Last Pass master password.
In the android app you can pull up all your passwords and user names to copy and paste into your regular mobile browser or auto login with the mobile browser built into Last Pass. If you use Dolphin HD on you phone there's a LP extension for it but it's a bit limited in functionality as compared to the LP built in mobile browser. The pc browser extension has a password generator built in as well.
You have to be a paid member to use the phone app. Last time I renewed my account it was $12.00 per year and well worth it. BTW. No data is stored on your phone or your pc so you'll never lose anything.

Last edited:

SnyperX

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
I'll throw in another vote for Lastpass. Having plugins for all desktop browsers, the mobile app and dolphin browser plugins (premium only for the mobile uses) its far and away my favorite option.
It has all the major features one would want id think. Various levels of security, two factor authentication, password generation, autofill options, password auditing etc...

If you want a simple local only option, MSecure is a decent one I've used on the iOS side and still have on my android. But Lastpass is what I swear by. Well worth the 12 bucks a year.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

DrLouie

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Let me chime in with another vote for LastPass, however I haven't made the jump to premium membership (just recently purchased my first android). I do plan to upgrade soon. I also like Xmarks for cross-platform (and cross browser) bookmark syncing. I mention Xmarks, because LastPass acquired them last December.

DataHawg

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't Safe Wallet do this? I trust their developers....

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I can't answer that, but Steve Gibson trusts Last Pass and that's all I need to know. As he explained in the podcast, Last Pass does not store or have any access to any of your passwords. Your data is encrypted by security keys on your end before it gets sent to their servers. They couldn't hack your passwords even if they wanted to. It's solid security.

androidtechrep

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I use Password Safe Pro religiously. It lets you save URLs, usernames, passwords etc. Plus the app is password protected and you can do a backup of your data on the SD Card, DropBox, or any other method so that if you ever have to factory reset your device, you will always be able to get your data back on the phone. I never realized how many different username/passwords I had until I started using this app. :cool:

Tre Lawrence

May 13, 2010
Visit site
DataVault. Has optional desktop companion, Dropbox compatibility, and works with SD card too. It is also available across platforms, which is useful if you decide to try out BB or iOS.

androidmaster1

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
If u want to have true backups on ur passwords and usernames, I strongly recommend emailing them to urself and archiving the email. That's what I do. Reasons why: phone can crash, sd card can crash, any app can crash. Ur email won't, and is accessible from anywhere with internet connection.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

DataHawg

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
If u want to have true backups on ur passwords and usernames, I strongly recommend emailing them to urself and archiving the email. That's what I do. Reasons why: phone can crash, sd card can crash, any app can crash. Ur email won't, and is accessible from anywhere with internet connection.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

And you have your email backed up where? Last Pass is accesable from anywhere you have an Internet connection as well. You simply log into the website.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
here is the MS Word file structure -

---------------

DATA (file name)

DEBIT AND CREDIT CARDS

xxxx
xxxx

ATM PINS

xxxx
xxxx

CHECKING AND SAVINGS ACCOUNTS

xxxx
xxxx

ONLINE BANKING

xxxx
xxxx
etc.

INVESTMENTS

CABLE AND CELLULAR

COMPUTER, PHONE, DEVICES, AND SOFTWARE

EMAIL ACCOUNTS

TECHNOLOGY SERVICES

RETAILERS

UTILITIES

AUTOMOBILE

INSURANCE

VALUABLES AND LOCKS

AIRLINES AND TRAINS

HOTELS

1/1/12 (last updated date)

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Microsoft Office 2007 uses 128 bit AES for password encryption. In 2003, the US Government announced that the AES encryption algorithm may be used for classified information. This is specified in The National Policy on the use of the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) to Protect National Security Systems and National Security Information (CNSSP-15).

"CNSSP-15 states that AES with either 128 or 256-bit keys are sufficient to protect classified information up to the SECRET level. Protecting TOP SECRET information would require the use of 256-bit AES keys as well as numerous other controls on manufacture, handling and keying. These same key sizes are suitable for protecting both national security and non-national security related information throughout the US Government." (Welcome to the National Security Agency - NSA/CSS, see also AES in wikipedia)

Word 2007 by default uses AES 128 bit strong encryption. Also, if you open a document created in the older versions of office (2002, 2003) in Office 2007 with the default encryption mode, the old encryption algorithm will be replaced with the strong 128-bit encryption. It’s even possible to use 256-bit encryption.

This means that Word 2007 encryption can be used for top secret information as far as the encryption algorithm is concerned. But the password strength is just as important.

How safe is Word 2007 encryption?