Icon position lock?

Galane

May 19, 2011
Visit site
One thing I am getting fed up with about Android is how the slightest brush of the edge of my palm or fingertips barely curling over an edge of the screen can cause icons to end up way off on another screen.

Is there an app that can lock my app icons in position so that to be able to move them I have to either go to a menu or run the locker app? Of course I'd NOT place the lock app near the edge of one of the seven screens on my Epic 4G.

It's like Windows 95, where Microsoft removed the lock icons to grid option and didn't bring it back until Windows XP.

Related to this, it would be nice to be able to shut off or modify the sensitivity of the outer edges of the touchscreen. Same problem as with the "Flying Dutchman" icons, I have to gingerly hold the phone by the edges to avoid inadvertently launching apps along the edges of the screen at random.

If it doesn't detect a full fingertip right on the @#%@ icon, *don't launch*. If it detects a long and narrow press from my palm below my thumb along the extreme edge, don't @#%%ing pick an app close by at random and launch it. It should take a full fingertip ON an icon, not just close by, to cause it to launch.

There was a program for Windows to prevent pets, especially cats, from screwing up computers when they'd walk on the keyboard. It could detect "cat-like typing" when several keys close together were pressed then launch a dialog box asking the user to allow or block it with a mouseclick. (I had a Siamese cat that somehow put a password on Menuworks, a DOS menu shell, way back in the pre-windows era. I had to reinstall Menuworks and rebuild all the menus from scratch.)

Android needs to be able to detect and ignore slight overhangs of bits of human hand gripping the phone in a more secure fashion. What it does is yet another example of design tested under ideal conditions where the people testing it know everything about it and don't do things like holding the phone in a manner that someone who wants to *grip* the thing securely will.

See also the iPhone 4 that apparently was never ever held by any of its designers like people in the world outside the laboratory hold phones. Result? Ordinary, non-engineer-in-the-know phone gripping styles shorted out the antenna. The engineers wouldn't bridge the antenna gap with a palm edge or fingertip because they knew that would short the antenna, then made the unconscious assumption that *nobody else* would do it.

Same goes for the original, too weak Wiimote wrist strap. Someone at Nintendo should have slipped one over a wrist, stuck their arm in the air and made like a cowboy roping a steer. When the Wiimote went flying, they'd have realized they'd chosen too small a cord, specified a stronger one and many windows and televisions would have been spared instead of speared.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
One thing I am getting fed up with about Android is how the slightest brush of the edge of my palm or fingertips barely curling over an edge of the screen can cause icons to end up way off on another screen.

Is there an app that can lock my app icons in position so that to be able to move them I have to either go to a menu or run the locker app? Of course I'd NOT place the lock app near the edge of one of the seven screens on my Epic 4G.

I'm confused. You're accidentally moving your icons around? That takes a lot of work, since you have to long-press on the icon in order to get it into "move" mode.

Or am I misunderstanding the problem?

Galane

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Yup, if I don't hit the power button to turn the screen off before putting the phone in its belt holder, I often end up with icons from the edges of the home screen off on one of the other screens.

And if I hold the phone like I want to hold it, not drop it, I get apps launching when small bits of my fingers or base of my thumb are *near* but not actually touching icons. I want to hold my phone securely, not like a lab tech carefully holding it by the edges - because holding it securely will have apps launching and icons haring off to the far reaches of other screens.

That needs to be more like Windows, which has a sharply defined square active area for its icons. Android's active area seems to extend well past the edges of the actual icon, far enough to run right to the edge of the screen for icons in the outer columns.

At least it's not like Mac OS 9 and earlier, where the active area of icons was clipped to the exact shape of the icon, and transparent areas within the icon were inactive. A "grey" icon with a 50% checkerboard would be very difficult to doubleclick.

Galane

May 19, 2011
Visit site
What's extra annoying is when I get my phone out, see an icon has gone missing and can't remember what one I had there. :p

If it's one of the two in the lower corners gone it's most often got itself slid down to remove.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
There are third-party launchers that allow yo to lock the home screen to prevent moving things around. Try adw launcher, launcher pro or Go launcher. There are others in the market so search for "launcher".

Keep in mind that the launcher may break some of the widgets and features you have on the phone. For sure the phone will look a little different, launcher wise. Refer to the market photos to see what I am talking about.

JP Rodrigues

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site

It's like Windows 95, where Microsoft removed the lock icons to grid option and didn't bring it back until Windows XP.

Related to this, it would be nice to be able to shut off or modify the sensitivity of the outer edges of the touchscreen. Same problem as with the "Flying Dutchman" icons, I have to gingerly hold the phone by the edges to avoid inadvertently launching apps along the edges of the screen at random.

If it doesn't detect a full fingertip right on the @#%@ icon, *don't launch*. If it detects a long and narrow press from my palm below my thumb along the extreme edge, don't @#%%ing pick an app close by at random and launch it. It should take a full fingertip ON an icon, not just close by, to cause it to launch.

There was a program for Windows to prevent pets, especially cats, from screwing up computers when they'd walk on the keyboard. It could detect "cat-like typing" when several keys close together were pressed then launch a dialog box asking the user to allow or block it with a mouseclick. (I had a Siamese cat that somehow put a password on Menuworks, a DOS menu shell, way back in the pre-windows era. I had to reinstall Menuworks and rebuild all the menus from scratch.)

Android needs to be able to detect and ignore slight overhangs of bits of human hand gripping the phone in a more secure fashion. What it does is yet another example of design tested under ideal conditions where the people testing it know everything about it and don't do things like holding the phone in a manner that someone who wants to *grip* the thing securely will.

See also the iPhone 4 that apparently was never ever held by any of its designers like people in the world outside the laboratory hold phones. Result? Ordinary, non-engineer-in-the-know phone gripping styles shorted out the antenna. The engineers wouldn't bridge the antenna gap with a palm edge or fingertip because they knew that would short the antenna, then made the unconscious assumption that *nobody else* would do it.

Same goerefor the original, too weak Wiimote wrist strap. Someone at

Nintendo should have slipped one over a and wrist, stuck their arm in the air and made. And like a cowboy roping a steer. When the Wiimote went flying, they'd have realized they'd chosen too small a cord, specified a stronger one and many windows and televisions would have been spared instead of speared.

So perfectly worded... in my opinion the phones ate bately ptactical in real life sitjations because of this anf other major annoyances and flaws. For day to day ise. Another perfect example... i canr even see what im typing because my screen jimls to the bottom while i use the keuboard... isny android mature enough to have major friggin bugs and irritations worked out by now?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
So perfectly worded... in my opinion the phones ate bately ptactical in real life sitjations because of this anf other major annoyances and flaws. For day to day ise. Another perfect example... i canr even see what im typing because my screen jimls to the bottom while i use the keuboard... isny android mature enough to have major friggin bugs and irritations worked out by now?

Does the screen disappear when you have the phone in landscape while typing? That's common if it's the case.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

s mossy

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
Missing icons! It happens to me occasionally as well. I hate unlocking my phone to see missing icons. I can never remember which exact ones are missing so it usually takes me a few days to figure out which one is missing.

Obviously I have ignored this annoyance until now...finally so annoyed that I googled it hoping to find a way to lock the icons, nothing native to handle it - disappointment.

I really want a feature that allows the desktop icons to be locked and when I want to delete something I should need to unlock the desktop first.

I know many newly installed apps will try to add their icons to the desktop when installed, I don't mind that - But the a lock feature should prevent icons from being deleted or moved unless the screen is intentionally unlocked. This should be part of the desktop management settings.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
As Srkmagnus said the best option is using a custom launcher, most of them have a "lock desktop" option. Also you can try to change the touch & hold delay in your accessibility settings. Set it to long and see if that helps.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You can also set Play to NOT put icons for newly downloaded apps on the desktop. If you put all the icons on the desktop, why have an app drawer? Put the ones you use all the time on the desktop (and learn to use folders, so you make optimum use of your screen space - for example, all my camera and photo editing apps are in one folder on the desktop, all my map and GPS apps are in another - that takes the space of one icon per filder, but you get to the individual apps with just one additional tap on the folder).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC