Internet Explorer for Android

Dalton37

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
So I want to get the wife the Transformer Prime for her work, BUT they have a site that they MUST use that is Internet Explorer only. I've looked around a bit, but it seems nothing is available, but most of those threads weren't this specific and they all seemed to be pretty old. So, are there any options that will allow her to get to this site or should I just scrap the whole idea until her company moves into the current technological age?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Internet Explorer is not available for Android. There are several browsers on the market that may still work -- you'll have to verify each one by going to the site.

If you can make your way to a store with tablet display models and you are able to install apps, give the following a try:

Opera
Dolphin
Boat
Firefox
Skyfire
Miren

Opera, Dolphin and Firefox may be the most popular third-party browsers, in no particular order.

Dalton37

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Dammit, looks like its not working with those browser options. Great, not there is really no way to justify buying the Transformer Prime.....

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
You can try Firefox with the Phony addon to change its user agent to IE, but that really wont be enough to work if the website required ActiveX and Java.

The best method is to get a Windows tablet when work is a priority. You can get a refurb Acer W500 at Cheetah Deals, which is how I got mine. Before the standard attacks on Windows, this thing last up to 6 hours for me and remains a better companion than my last 5 Honeycomb tablets. with that said, the best tablets are going to be ones that can run both Windows and Android.

Also please don't suggest the OP to use remote access just to use IE. Its bad enough that its IE.

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Just 2 notes:

IE uses parts of Windows, so there can't be any non-Windows IE. (There used to be a version for Mac OS, but it was a completely different program that just looked like IE.)

As an experienced web developer (20+ years), I have to say that anyone who develops a site that will only run in IE isn't a very good developer. I sure wouldn't hire him.

JB58

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue with a site that is very particular about being run from IE and popups allowed, many people have difficulty using the site. I was thinking I might be able to use one of the remote control apps to use IE from a PC sitting somewhere else while I carry the tablet. If anyone has advice on how to set that up or how well those apps work I would appreciate it.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
JB58, you can tether a Windows computer to the phone (USB, Bluetooth or wifi) and use IE on the computer. The apps work well. The only problem could be your phone company - some don't allow tethering, and you could be charged a bit (or a lot) for doing it, or you could lose your account (and your number).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20