Apple User's Guide to Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

falcor87

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand all this business about being locked into iTunes music, you have access to just as much music with your iPhone as with your Android phone. You don't have to download from iTunes if you don't want to, you can import all the music you want to your library. Just moved to Android and I'll be sticking with iTunes (as well as having my library uploaded to Google Music), easy way to organize and play music on your computer.

I think the argument over visual voicemail stems a difference in what people think visual voicemail is. Thanks but I don't need to look at someones picture when listening to voicemail, what I want is to not have to dial a number and listen to a robot tell me the phone numbers (that I haven't memorized) that have left me messages, I want instant access to a list of names with the date they left the message. That's the visual voicemail that launched with the iPhone, I'm still not sure if I can do that on my Nexus 4, anyone want to help out an Android noob?

Your section on the screen should be removed. First, the screen you get will depend on the handset not the operating system, there are many Android phones that have awful displays. Second, while it's true that OLEDs don't have a backlight, and darker images will help preserve the battery, it's also true that OLEDs are young tech and still notoriously power hungry.

Some parts of this post seem like an honest attempt to help an iPhone get used to Android, but others seem like biased iPhone bashing and I think they need revision.

From a new user's perspective, best thing about Android so far:
New 4.2 (swype-style) stock keyboard, I was worried about typing with one hand on such a big phone but this thing is great. Still a little shaky but getting quicker, also it's just fun.

unioncentral

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I bought a Galaxy S3 but am about to sell it and go back to my iPhone 4! With the hugely disappointing original keyboard, the browser's inability to understand webpage column widths, Music Hub, the ugly alien which shows every time I type a smile, and the occasional crash, it's a fairly depressing experience. I would only use Galaxy S3 if I had 50 spare hours and a desire to learn how to make it work properly. If I did have 50 spare hours and that desire, it would probably be awesome. But time is scarce.

DonCielo

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: miss my silence switch

I sure hope I'm posting this in the right place.

My wife and I have been very long-term iPhone users. Actually Apple users in general.

We do not have a PC in the house.

Both of us have an iMac as our primary computers. So some of these instructions confuse me. They seem to be oriented towards people with PCs.

We have also just purchased two new Note 2 phones, and couldn't be any happier or excited. Our iPhones have become so stale and boring and the first time I put my hands on a Note 2, I knew I had to have it. But we are having issues syncing everything.

Alright, so? I want to continue to use my iMac and iPad. The iPhones are going away.

My main mobile device will be the Note 2. And I will not be using my iPhone 5 any longer, so nothing needs to sync to it.

What I want is to sync my contacts from my iMac to my Note 2 and then keep them synced between my iMac, Note 2 and iPad.

I've tried installing from my iphone the caldev and carddev accounts - and I've also tried doing it from the Mac.

It wasn't working no matter what I tried to do. Finally, I found an answer. The problem was in the length and complexity of my password to Google.

Here is the URL that explains it nicely.

Google Groups

Now, if I add a contact on one device it syncs across all of them.

What I can't seem to make happen is to get all of my current contacts from my Mac on to Google contacts so it will sync to my Note 2.

***And just figured that out too. Google has made lots of changes recently. Here is exactly how to do it. And it is VERY easy and fast. Now all devices including my iMac, iPads, and my incredible Note 2 are all syncing effortlessly using Google as the cloud without having to use any extra software or paying anything.

Google Sync

The changeover to my Note 2 is progressing very nicely now. The iPhone is becoming a distant memory. :)

Last edited:

BoOuds

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site

Having everything from Apple, Mac/Time Capsule/Apple TV/iPad mini/iPhone 5, I'm going for the challange. Beeing bored by IOS and disapointed after the introduction of the iPhone 5S/IOS7, I pre ordered the Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

I was worried about the switch but this thread helped al lot! Thanks for that!

Getting my Note 3 on 9-27!

If anyone has more tips for me, that would be great!

richardcb

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

Hi, I'm an iOS user considering his first Android tablet and have a very basic newbie-type question re apps. With iOS there are apps designed to run on iPhones or iPads, or both. It is usually clearly indicated which type they are. On Android I see no such distinction. Are Android apps 'one-size-fits-all' or are there different versions for phones and tablets? I would appreciate any help you can give in this area...along with tolerance of a very new user. :)

Rolandrice

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

Having made the change to android some time ago the one most infuriating thing is the updates. I have a Galaxy IIS which Is a good phone and meets my needs but I am very tired of the bloat ware that comes on it from ATT and the lag in OS software updates. I am considering returning to the Iphone to be in line with the rest of the family and simple ease of use with updates. I have to admit though that this phone is far tougher than any iphone I have had.

elizabath

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site

well updates are definitely a problem with Android (or any system other than iOS). However, I believe the Galaxy S2 has updates available to bring it to at least Android 4.0, though I’ve heard mixed reports on whether this helps performance.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Hi, I'm an iOS user considering his first Android tablet and have a very basic newbie-type question re apps. With iOS there are apps designed to run on iPhones or iPads, or both. It is usually clearly indicated which type they are. On Android I see no such distinction. Are Android apps 'one-size-fits-all' or are there different versions for phones and tablets? I would appreciate any help you can give in this area...along with tolerance of a very new user. :)

Sorry for the lateness of this reply. Android app compatibility with tablets varies. Some apps are designed specifically for tablets, while others can adapt to whatever device you have. Most apps that were designed only for a phone-sized device can still run on a tablet, but it just gets stretched out and looks low-resolution. There's usually a stretch-to-fit-screen toggle in the notification area (it looks like 4 arrows pointing outward) that will toggle between normal size (i.e., a phone-sized window in your large tablet screen) and stretched-out size.

Certain apps will be reported as incompatible with some devices, often because of resolution or screen size. Google Play will let you know if the app is compatible.

jaggerreng

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

Having everything from Apple, Mac/Time Capsule/Apple TV/iPad mini/iPhone 5, I'm going for the challange. Beeing bored by IOS and disapointed after the introduction of the iPhone 5S/IOS7, I pre ordered the Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

I was worried about the switch but this thread helped al lot! Thanks for that!

Getting my Note 3 on 9-27!

If anyone has more tips for me, that would be great!

I'm sure you've seen this already, but this is the best number of Android tips I've seen in a long time. http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/31622-getting-started-android-tips-tricks.html

larrylizzard79

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Guys,

Can anyone help as I can't seem to find the answer.

I've just changed from iPhone to Nexus 5 and I can't seem to work out how I can play spottily via wifi onto my stereo. On the iPhone there is a simple option to decide if you want to use the phone speaker or play via wifi. I've tried searching this forum and the web, maybe the keywords are wrong but can anyone help?

Thanks,

LL

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Guys,

Can anyone help as I can't seem to find the answer.

I've just changed from iPhone to Nexus 5 and I can't seem to work out how I can play spottily via wifi onto my stereo. On the iPhone there is a simple option to decide if you want to use the phone speaker or play via wifi. I've tried searching this forum and the web, maybe the keywords are wrong but can anyone help?

Thanks,

LL

Welcome to Android Central! Android doesn't come with a native wifi-to-speaker feature--for that kind of functionality, you can use Bluetooth, but you need a Bluetooth speaker.

nucleisoft

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
does the original OP need to update some info, the bit about apple not letting you use other keyboards, in my game i have my own programmed keyboard for the player to enter their name, or does that not apply to games.

Status
Not open for further replies.