Can somebody please explain baseband?

Alex.Kim

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
So I'm interested in custom ROMs, but this baseband stuff is kinda confusing. I have a few questions:

- What does baseband mean?
- What happens if I flash a ROM with the wrong baseband version?
- Is the baseband version linked with the android build or kernel?
- How do you restore your baseband version?

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
1.Baseband, controls cellular reception (maybe wifi also, who knows these days). Think of it as your radio.You can access the current version in Settings/About Phone/Tablet

2. Flashing a rom which specifically requires a specific radio version (you have different), usually means you won't get reception, or very bad reception. Flashing a radio not meant for your device usually means a bricked device.

3. The Android build. Kernels are different unless specified. All roms come with a kernel, and you can usually flash different kernels for better battery life, overclock, etc. Usually custom roms will specify what version you need (if required), and generally offer link to the specific versions. If the rom doesn't specify a version, then don't worry about it. Well, we hope anyhow.

4. You don't backup and restore the radio. You have to flash a different version.

bruno varoni palma

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
2. Flashing a rom which specifically requires a specific radio version (you have different), usually means you won't get reception, or very bad reception. Flashing a radio not meant for your device usually means a bricked device.
Permanently bricked or until you flash the right radio/modem .img? What are the odds of hardware damage while flashing firmwares?

4. You don't backup and restore the radio. You have to flash a different version.
If i have no access to the stock firmware for my device and backup software dont see the modem partition like you just mentioned, how can i restore the device radio/baseband?

Thanks in advace

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois