How-to: Use your phone as a 3G modem for your laptop (now, not in 2.2 =P)

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
When I plugged the EVO into my PC I noticed their was an option for "USB Internet Sharing." Do you get charged for the "Internet Sharing" option, or just for the Hotspot? I am going to be going on a trip this weekend and was hoping I could do this without getting charged.

This is done through your carriers' tethering plan, in your case Sprint, so yes you would have to pay for it. If you use PDAnet you don't, as the app works such that the carrier can't tell you are tethering.

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
PDAnet does it for you. If you use PDAnet you should be fine. Other tethering apps work differently and can let the carrier know that you are tethering, PDAnet doesnt

Wow that's good! This will be one of the first programs I buy when I get my Android phone.

bubbatex

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
I have used PDAnet in the past on my WM phones with great success. I was looking at it, Easy Tether and Tether. Easy Tether seems to work well too, but Tether seems to route you via different DNS servers. But Easy is 1/2 the price of PDAnet. You must have gotten your version for some discount becasue it's $18.95 now for the full version. Not a deal killer for the functionality though. Did you compare Easy with PDAnet?

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have used PDAnet in the past on my WM phones with great success. I was looking at it, Easy Tether and Tether. Easy Tether seems to work well too, but Tether seems to route you via different DNS servers. But Easy is 1/2 the price of PDAnet. You must have gotten your version for some discount becasue it's $18.95 now for the full version. Not a deal killer for the functionality though. Did you compare Easy with PDAnet?

I actually use the free version, I don't use it much its just nice to have in a pinch

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
is there a app for turning your X into a hotspot? id like to connect multiple devices to my phone/

Rob.G

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking forward to rooting mine, though so far, my Hotspot (which I signed up for) isn't working for me. My Mac connects to it just fine, but my iPad won't touch it. I thought it was the 3.2.0 OS. I updated it to 3.2.1 and it actually connected and worked yesterday, but since then, it hasn't worked since. That's even if I disable all security too. It tries, but ultimately won't do it.

Rob

indyalex

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
I believe you are right,I used PDAnet on my Hero until I recently when I switched from XP to Windows7 at which point I had trouble redownloading PDAnet so I deleted it and downloaded Easy tether(free) which hooked me up fine to my Windows7.
I think the pd.version of Easy tether is like $10 which permits you to open secured sites(https),like for paying bills online & such.The pd. version of PDAnet is like $19.The one thing I really liked about PDAnet is the incoming text feature which allows you to you to recieve & send text right from the laptop without disrupting the connection.

ic3pO

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the tip Kyle! I've kept this post bookmarked for many months now because I felt it may be relevant to my needs at some point.

I'm kind of a noobe so forgive me if my questions seems redundant. As I've read and reread this discussion am I understanding correctly that this is applicable only to a rooted phone? On the eve of receiving the 2.2 Froyo OTA for the DInc I'm wondering if this would work after the update, because the update is supposed to enable tethering?

Many thanks for any insight you may provide!

Last edited:

bubbatex

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
Anyone able to use vpn with pdanet? I can't get the connection to complete to my office.

The company I am currently consulting for uses VPN with a Cisco client on the PC. I have not had any problems connecting to Exchange email using PDANet on my EVO.

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I have used PDANet since the Palm Treo days, with and without Bluetooth. I am unable to get Bluetooth working though with my Dell laptop running Widows 7.

flashmanq

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
i have been using padnet for awhile the last few weeks my speed has been fall off from 1.6Mbps to .07Mbps on my EVO is Sprint slowing my download speeds are can this be a padnet problem

fltdspx

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
ok...I an new at this so forgive me. I have the Droidx Android Vers 2.2 and the system version 2.3.15.MB810.... I have pdanet and now when I try to use it it's like the laptop doesn't even know it's there... when I go into the phone and uncheck the USB debugging the laptop can see the phone...
Iit worked before I did the update... any suggestions I don'ot want to pay anything extra I loved the pdanet... it did work like a charm....

THanks
Bill

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci