Fix a scratched bezzel

dgrass90

May 24, 2011
Visit site
So I know this is just a total bout of electronics OCD but I dropped by DROID Bionic the one time I didnt have the Otterbox case on it (on a rough gravel road no less). Murphy's law, right?

Anyway, It is a very minor scratch to the chrome bezzel encasing the phone on the top corner. Is there a best practice for smoothing it down or maybe even making it look even less promenant? I dont want to file it or use chrome paint thats out there if that is going to muck it up any more.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
If it's metal, you can try some automotive scratch remover. But, I would avoid getting it on anything plastic or the display.

Normally, I wouldn't use such things.

High speed dremel with some polish might also work.

Or just put the cover on it, and forget about it.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
If it's metal, you can try some automotive scratch remover. But, I would avoid getting it on anything plastic or the display.

Normally, I wouldn't use such things.

High speed dremel with some polish might also work.

Or just put the cover on it, and forget about it.

Some good suggestions. I'd go with the last one. If it's in the case 99% of the time like it should be, you'll never see it anyway. How new is your phone? If it's really new, I know where you are coming from. I always feel that way with new electronics, cars, etc. But, after you get that first dent, ding, whatever, I always mostly get over it. I mean, I still try and do EVERYTHING I can to protect my purchases, but, I don't let it get to me too much.

But, like Moscow said, some automotive scratch remover MIGHT work. The only thing that has me leery about that is that with the scratch remover, it's pretty much working away at the clear coat, no? I doubt the phone has anything like that. I guess it all depends on how deep the scratch is. If it's shallow, and, the chrome isn't just painted on there, but, is solid all the way through, I guess you could eat away a thin layer of the chrome to get rid of the scratch. But, if it's just painted on, that isn't going to work.

dgrass90

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Thx for the suggestions. I probably will give the scratch remover a try. Its not too deep, but it is noticeable on the otherwise brand-spanking-new device (it is covered by the case but... here's that electronics OCD thing again). I will post on how it goes.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Thx for the suggestions. I probably will give the scratch remover a try. Its not too deep, but it is noticeable on the otherwise brand-spanking-new device (it is covered by the case but... here's that electronics OCD thing again). I will post on how it goes.

No problem!! If I recall, the last time I used scratch remover on my car, it also took quite a bit of elbow grease. :D But, if it's shallow, like you say, hopefully it wont take that long.

I completely understand how you feel about the device being new. My car is four years old and I STILL park in the very back of parking lots. I just really care about my purchases. So, I definitely understand. Good luck!! Looking forward to your results.

dgrass90

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Update: I am having trouble finding another camera to take a pic of my phone (my family is lazy and still sleeping) but I did try a very fine sand paper used in auto detailing and it worked great. Didn't grind it down too far but smoothed out the ridges from the drop. The only caveat is that motorola used a black finish on the bezzel so there is a slight change in color. All in all, your suggestion worked fine and I would recommend it to anyone who comes across the problem.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
No problem. Glad we could be of service, and, glad to hear it mostly worked out for you. Thanks for coming back and posting an update!! :D

BlazeB99

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Someone please help I dropped my droid on pavement and scratched the corners. I got it as a gift 2 weeks ago and I'm afraid they might find out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma