Blank SD card after transferring files

chocodroid

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
While not unheard of, my particular situation may be a bit different from what I've already read about so I'll ask here just in case.

So recently I obtained a new 16 GB micro SD card which worked fine with my previous phone and typically worked well with my Galaxy SII as well, but when I went to transfer files from my computer to the card I ran into an issue. After all the files we're transferred it all seemed fine, but shortly afterward I ran into a blank SD card notification and was prompt to format via phone, which managed to format successfully. So then I went through the process again, this time putting nearly everything through a file converter before transferring. Again, everything seemed fine until a short while later when I have a blank card and prompt to format yet again. And like before the formatting seemed to work fine.

And to provide a bit more information that may be relevant, since our computer doesn't seem to play nice with my SD card (no window pops up after inserting and when attempting to read the card via My Computer it simply locks up and becomes unresponsive) when I transferred the files I did so through having my old phone plugged in with the card inserted and managed to get to it that way. With the second attempt I just used my current phone instead with hopes that it would work better that way. Unfortunately the same issue occurred as mentioned above.

So that pretty much covers it. If I had to guess it would seem that a hiccup is occurring with the transfer process that makes the card appear blank shortly afterward. Would be nice to find a way to prevent this from happening again.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Rule of thumb, most of the time, you should format your sd in your pc to FAT32. Your device should have no issue recognizing this.

Your device is formatting the sd to a format your PC really has issues with. This would explain the slow response your PC has when trying to recognize it. So it tries to do things, which in turn your Phone doesn't recognize.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Do you have another SD card that works fine in the exact same scenarios? If that is the case, your SD card could be damaged. Depending on where you bought it from, you could always bring it back and swap it for another, just to be safe.

chocodroid

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I should have a couple other cards around. An 8GB and 1GB, though the first of which had already been previously damaged from an unrelated instance and the 1GB is a bit small to replicate the entire process.

I take it when my phone formatted my card it wasn't FAT32. Since the computer doesn't seem to recognize the card and doesn't prompt me to format it I wonder how I could complete the process. Perhaps an external card reader may help?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol