I'm a Palm Pre owner and will eligible for a full upgrade in June with Sprint. I don't have to upgrade next month, so I've got flexibility in terms of time.

I'm not crazy on the Evo given battery life and the extra charge for 4G, but I want a phone that will run the latest version of Android. Based on what is out and what seems likely to come out in the next few months, what do you suggest?

My requirements are voice-activated dialing (the Pre lacks this) and a camera that can read UPC bar codes. I'd prefer a physical keypad, but its not an absolute deal breaker. I need a phone to keep me organized, get news from the web and access Twitter. And yeah, it needs to be on Sprint.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
    05-27-2010 06:23 PM
    I'm a pre owner at. least i was until i broke mine last saturday. i got mine on launch day and went through 3 of them. i'm not crazy about leaving webos but can't handle the pre hardware anymore. your first concern about battery life i can only speculate, but lets face the pre's battery life sucked. i just about gaurantee the evo life will be as good or better. as far as your software needs are concerned there are apps in the android market for just about everything. if you don't like the stock keyboard you can download from other available. unlike the app catalog, alot of the useful apps in the android market are free. the pre's apps are very pricy incomparison. if you really prefer your pre, wait until fall when palm releases the microphone and camera api's. then you will start to see voice activation and camera apps (bar code readers.) htc makes great phones...i'm not worried about missing my pre, and i don't think others will be either.
    just another note, you aren't paying for 4g but for premium data. things like video chat and streaming movies are some things that the evo will do even w/no 4g coverage. the plan is still $30 cheaper than att's..don't know if i helped but that's my 2 cents....
    sorry about spelling and what not my laptop's keyboard sucks..
    05-27-2010 09:14 PM
    I'm just not sold on the Evo based on the review I've read about it.

As far as the Pre, I'm my second, having bought it on June 6 like you. I don't need a phone June 1, but I'm not sticking around to see what HP does with Palm either.

Any other suggestions besides the Evo? Anybody know what's coming down the pipe this summer at Sprint?
    05-28-2010 03:37 PM
    Well, I think a lot of us are in the same boat. I bought my pre on launch day along with getting one for my wife. Well, I was on my fourth pre and my wife on her 3rd. I love webos, but I want more apps and it just seems like it is slow going :/ Anyways, I like the specs of the evo, but absolutely hate the size...it is way to big. If sprint had the droid incrediable I wouldve gone with that, I think that is the perfect size. Anyways, I decided to try something different so I found a good used Hero for $130 on CL and have had it now for 2days and am loving it! I was nervous about no physical keyboard, but all that was solved with shapewriter keyboard. You basically slide your finger to each letter and it figures out what your word is. I actually am faster in texting now. Because I bought it outwright I still have my upgrade for any future webos or incrediable like device...am very happy
    05-29-2010 11:18 AM
    Dude if you want something next gen, Sprint, and before HP gets their act together, you might need to more seriously look at the Evo. That thing is a beast, it will be the best phone out there when it comes out (for atleast a month or so, you know with the whole Legacy whatnot).
    05-29-2010 12:51 PM
    I'm worried about the size of the Evo (it has a kickstand?!) and it's battery life. I'm fine not having the greatest phone as long as it does what I need. And yes, it needs to run 2.2.

Is there anything besides the Evo coming out this summer? Or will it be fall/winter before Sprint gets other Android phones.
    05-29-2010 07:13 PM
    I'm just not sold on the Evo based on the review I've read about it.

As far as the Pre, I'm my second, having bought it on June 6 like you. I don't need a phone June 1, but I'm not sticking around to see what HP does with Palm either.

Any other suggestions besides the Evo? Anybody know what's coming down the pipe this summer at Sprint?
    Might want to read more than one review =P From what I have read, reviewers love the Evo.

I'm worried about the size of the Evo (it has a kickstand?!) and it's battery life. I'm fine not having the greatest phone as long as it does what I need. And yes, it needs to run 2.2.

Is there anything besides the Evo coming out this summer? Or will it be fall/winter before Sprint gets other Android phones.
    Well, your best bet on Sprint is the Evo. Verizon seems to have alot more in the pipeline with the Incredible out now, and the Moto Shadow and Droid 2 coming this fall. However, monthly plan price seems to be a concern for you so I am guessing you want to stay with Sprint. You could get a Hero or something like that from last year, but there is no guarantee those phones will ever see 2.2.

Just get the Evo. Sprint (as I recall) gives you 30 days to return the phone if you don't like it. I feel safe in saying after about 5 mins you will never want to let the thing go =P
    05-29-2010 07:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD