DIY Screen Protector

IAmBroom

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
This was a total hack job, but it works so well I had to share.

I dropped my Kyocera Echo recently, and shattered the Gorilla Glass - it can happen. :( Amazingly, the touch response of the screen didn't seem to be affected at all! :) I had to leave immediately on a trip, so had no time to even look for a screen protector in my desk to apply.

On the trip, I got a sliver of glass in my finger. Once back, I grabbed a packaging tape dispenser, that lays down the big 3"-wide clear tape, and rolled it from one edge, down the length of the shattered face, and off the next edge.

I used a credit card to smooth it down, and a manicure tool to trim the tape by simply starting at one edge and pushing it along the desired cut line (one of the notch-ended ones, like the blue one 2nd from the right in this picture).
4-in-1-Stainless-Steel-Beauty-Nail-Manicure-Tools-Set_320x320.jpg

On the Echo, the screen has two curved insets, so a simple razor edge might not have done as well. Easy!

Now, why this is so awesome: it went down smoother than the protectors I've paid good money for, and much easier. The tape "gun" is the trick; applying it by hand wouldn't have been as easy.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01