Android Market MIA

wahlb22

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
First of all, let me state that I just converted to the "dark side" this past Saturday (I've had an iPhone since 2008) so please be patient. So this weekend I made the jump to a Galaxy S II. I started having issues with it rebooting constantly, took it back got it swapped out. The only problem is I realized after driving 40 miles home that the android market app was missing. I tried downloading various versions of the apk and they all would install but whenever I opened them they would force close. So is there something I'm doing wrong? Or something I could be doing differently? Any help would be appreciated. Also, yes this is an official phone and yes I'm in the US. So there shouldn't be an issue of the market being banned or anything.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Here's how to fix that issue. I assume you are rooted, as you crossed to the dark side.

1. Get the latest market.apk (market app)
2. Using root explorer, locate vending.apk on your device and delete it.
3. Copy your new market.apk to the same directory, and after copying, rename to vending.apk
4. Make sure the permissions on it are the same as the other apps located there using root explorer
5. Reboot your device
6. Goto Applications/manage applications and delete the cache for the Market

Enjoy

wahlb22

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. By the dark side I meant I switched from iOS to Android. I've only had the phone since Saturday and this is my first android phone. So this is a stock 2.3.4 Galaxy S II. It has not been rooted. Although I intend to do that at some point in time. I just want to get familiar with the phone before I do.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. By the dark side I meant I switched from iOS to Android. I've only had the phone since Saturday and this is my first android phone. So this is a stock 2.3.4 Galaxy S II. It has not been rooted. Although I intend to do that at some point in time. I just want to get familiar with the phone before I do.

Why is Android the "dark side?" I mean, I could see Jobs being the Emperor before Gates. I can just hear him saying, "wipe them out." Hahaha.

But, seriously, that's really weird that it didn't come installed. If your phone isn't really all that customized yet, you could try doing a factory reset. I can't imagine it not having it pre-installed, ya know?

wahlb22

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Haha everyone on the iphone side seem to think android is evil. But anyway yeah I've already done 5 factory resets and still no market. I'm wondering if I don't just need to reflash the stock rom. When I called my carriers IT department they suggested "open the android market app and download the market" needless to say I asked for her supervisor. And the supervisor told me they would look into it and call me back. This was on tuesday.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Haha everyone on the iphone side seem to think android is evil. But anyway yeah I've already done 5 factory resets and still no market. I'm wondering if I don't just need to reflash the stock rom. When I called my carriers IT department they suggested "open the android market app and download the market" needless to say I asked for her supervisor. And the supervisor told me they would look into it and call me back. This was on tuesday.

Root. What I told you, will fix all evils ;)

All root does, is gives you full control. It doesn't mess with the hardware. Carriers don't like it, because their tech people don't understand it. Minimum wage you know. And when a user does stupid things, like not following instructions, it causes tech support hell. Once again, because they don't understand.

They also don't like it, because they lose revenue on their bloatware.

Root that bad boy, and come to the true "dark side".

And once you taste it, it will be a matter of time till you do a custom rom...

The force is strong with this one......:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Did they give you a brand new phone in a box or a phone out of the back room

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Did they give you a brand new phone in a box or a phone out of the back room

Little late for that, dont'cha think?

Yes, we all know, carriers like to "pawn"off other used devices. It's normal. One has to look at the fine print.

In this case, one has to make a choice, do I go back again and complain? And get something worse in return?

And, how ,many times? 5? 10?

Or do you take your balls in your own hands, and make it work. Man up, and deal with it.

A fine line to determine.

Reminds me of when I turned in my Kenmore high tech ultra dollar washing machine. In the end, they credited me the price, but, it took 2.5 yrs. About half of which was spent at the local laundrymat.

wahlb22

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I understand rooting and custom roms. I was an avid jailbreaker with the iphone. I just want to wait on rooting in case I do have to get it replaced again in the next few days.i just want to be sure there aren't other problems with this particular phone first. Also, yes this was a new phone. I watched them take it out of the box and peel the plastic off it. I'll probably just drive back up there this afternoon and tell them to either fix it or replace it. Then I'll probably move right along to cyanogenmod. Just don't want to go through everything to root and flash a custom rom if theres something with the phone.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Hardware, ain't gonna cause an issue with the market.

But hey, if you can take it back, do so

And when you want to come to the real dark side, drop a line....

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I agree with Moscow It is def a software issue if it was hardware it wouldn't effect just one app

wahlb22

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Well I took it back to the store and they gave me the whole "We've never seen this happen before" deal. So long story short, they replaced it for the 3rd time. I also got the last one they had in stock so it better not break on me haha.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Well I took it back to the store and they gave me the whole "We've never seen this happen before" deal. So long story short, they replaced it for the 3rd time. I also got the last one they had in stock so it better not break on me haha.

Yeah i've given that speech in a different situation though :p, so i feel their pain lol.

Anyway , glad that worked out for you.

wahlb22

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the help. And for the record I'm sold on android. Here in probably a week or two I'll be rooting so I can't wait to get involved in the community.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the help. And for the record I'm sold on android. Here in probably a week or two I'll be rooting so I can't wait to get involved in the community.

Glad you like it let us know if you need any help :)

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

Hahaha. I'm sure they've seen that before. But, good luck, I'm glad that the issue is hopefully resolved.

Good!! Glad that you came over to the light side. :p So, what do you think about your Android in comparison to your iPhone? Must be nice to be able to take your battery out. :p

wahlb22

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
How do I like it compared to the iPhone? Well for one its much faster and has a much better screen. Granted I came from an iPhone 3Gs. One thing I have noticed is the settings for android are more complicated than with iOS. Now for me thats not a problem because I realize that with that complexity comes more options. But I can see it being an issue with someone who doesn't like to dig into each and every little thing in their devices. As far as size and shape and what not, I find myself feeling like the GS2 is going to squirt out of my hand at times since its so thin and a bit wider than the iphone. But thats just because I'm used to having that iPhone for the past 3 years. Overall I'm very happy I made the switch.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
How do I like it compared to the iPhone? Well for one its much faster and has a much better screen. Granted I came from an iPhone 3Gs. One thing I have noticed is the settings for android are more complicated than with iOS. Now for me thats not a problem because I realize that with that complexity comes more options. But I can see it being an issue with someone who doesn't like to dig into each and every little thing in their devices. As far as size and shape and what not, I find myself feeling like the GS2 is going to squirt out of my hand at times since its so thin and a bit wider than the iphone. But thats just because I'm used to having that iPhone for the past 3 years. Overall I'm very happy I made the switch.

Yea, it definitely has a steep learning curve. It makes it fun to get into though. Yea, I could see that. It always takes time to adjust. But, good, glad to hear you are liking it. This was my first smart phone, so, don't have much to compare it too. I just don't like how much Apple keeps things on lock down. I always razz my buddy about this iPhone. I'm sure at the end they are both awesome options. I couldn't imagine not having my phone. Six months later and I still think about how much I love it pretty much daily, haha.