I'm riding the short bus here.....

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Hello to all,

I am coming to the Droid arena after being with BlackBerry for many years. At this point I haven't started using my Razr as of yet - It seems I don't have a clue about what the Droid can and can't do. I've been in this forum looking around and see many great home screens, apps, etc. I'd like to get more familiar with the Razr and set it up before I finally turn off the BlackBerry for the last time.

Does the Droid have a "Droid 101" like they have for a Blackberry? I'm curious as to what the best apps/widgets are, how to set up the screen, etc. And of course things to stay away from. I've also read where some people "root" their phone - what does that exactly do? Best places for wallpaper and such?

Any help would be appreciated. ;)

Merry Christmas.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Everybody has their own favorite apps, so you should get a long list after the holidays.

For starters, you may want to install Handcent sms app. Certainly more features than the stock app.

A good file manager like Astro. A different launcher app may also suit you (more customization) As if you read pdf files, word docs and such, Documents To Go (paid version) or Polaris Office (if you can find it). If you want a different clock and such, Beautiful Widgets. For audio WinAmp. Video MX player.

The market has tons of wallpaper (live and static)

Root. Here at AC, they have some info for rooting. Go look at it.

But in a nutshell, it gives you permissions to the android system. To change things as you see fit. The stuff carriers don't want you to mess with. Also, it allows you the first step in installing a custom rom completely different from what the carrier gave you.

The benefits;
1. Remove the bloatware (preinstalled useless carrier apps) Frees space and device can actually run smoother in some cases.
2. Install custom themes on a system level (like system icons, fonts, etc.)
3. Install apps directly to the sd card.
4. Allows installation of custom rom. (after installtion of custom recovery)
5. Allows overclocking of the processor (with custom rom)
6. Custom roms allow you to get the latest android code long before the carrier pushes it out.

ands tons more things, but these are the biggies.

The cons;
1. It technically voids your warranty (you have to change it back before repair)
2. You can "brick" your device if you don't follow your instructions
3. Usually no OTA updates. (custom roms usually have the most recent code anyhow)
4. Some apps won't install from the market if you are rooted. Usually, there is a workaround. But it's not a lot of apps. I've never came across one personally

Happy Holidays, and welcome to AC

Reactions: ibcop

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Everybody has their own favorite apps, so you should get a long list after the holidays.

For starters, you may want to install Handcent sms app. Certainly more features than the stock app.

A good file manager like Astro. A different launcher app may also suit you (more customization) As if you read pdf files, word docs and such, Documents To Go (paid version) or Polaris Office (if you can find it). If you want a different clock and such, Beautiful Widgets. For audio WinAmp. Video MX player.

The market has tons of wallpaper (live and static)

Root. Here at AC, they have some info for rooting. Go look at it.

But in a nutshell, it gives you permissions to the android system. To change things as you see fit. The stuff carriers don't want you to mess with. Also, it allows you the first step in installing a custom rom completely different from what the carrier gave you.

The benefits;
1. Remove the bloatware (preinstalled useless carrier apps) Frees space and device can actually run smoother in some cases.
2. Install custom themes on a system level (like system icons, fonts, etc.)
3. Install apps directly to the sd card.
4. Allows installation of custom rom. (after installtion of custom recovery)
5. Allows overclocking of the processor (with custom rom)
6. Custom roms allow you to get the latest android code long before the carrier pushes it out.

ands tons more things, but these are the biggies.

The cons;
1. It technically voids your warranty (you have to change it back before repair)
2. You can "brick" your device if you don't follow your instructions
3. Usually no OTA updates. (custom roms usually have the most recent code anyhow)
4. Some apps won't install from the market if you are rooted. Usually, there is a workaround. But it's not a lot of apps. I've never came across one personally

Happy Holidays, and welcome to AC

Thanks for the response - greatly appreciated.

anon(3653)

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
Android Central has a section for help, and tips, and tricks. There are other sites with information geared towards the new Android users.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34