First post here - new to android.

Have downloaded a dozen or so apps. Now attempting to uninstall one using "Manage Applications." Before it completely loads I receive a "Sorry!" dialog box which proclaims: The application Settings (process com.android.settings) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. Then, only option is "Force close."

Checked all sync and network options, all appear to be on. Tried quitting apps, soft reset, removing battery. Nothing helps. I am unable to use Application Settings...and therefore, I believe, unable to uninstall anything.

Might there be an app that I could download that will enable me to uninstall other apps?

Using a Sprint Hero with Sense 2.1 update.

Any assistance from someone who has experience with something similar will be much appreciated.

Thanks, all.
    05-29-2010 02:09 PM
    Why don't you try to use the Market to uninstall your apps? I mean, you can use Manage Applications but the Market app is the intended way to do things. Or are these apps side-loaded? You could try the AppBrain app if all else fails. Only the system has the right to install and uninstall apps, 3rd party apps all prompt the package manager if installing needs to be done. But AppBrain directs you straight to the package manager, so maybe that will help. You should try to find the culprit app, that might restore your Manage Applications menu. If all else fails, factory reset?
    05-29-2010 03:21 PM
    What app is this? People should know so they dont have similar issues =/
    05-29-2010 03:29 PM
    Thanks, Foxman. Didn't realize that market was for uninstall also. I'm still thinking in Win mobile logic.

So far, android is fun, cool, and sexy...but w/o Outlook support (not a 27 step work-around) I'm still in mourning!!!

BTW: after uninstalling 2 apps I suspected of causing the problem and reseting, the Application problem still exists. I have no desire to willingly involve myself in a hard reset, though. Guess I'll have to live with it for now.

Thanks again for your quick reply.

All the best.

BreakThruGuy

Twitter: @BreakThruGuy
    05-29-2010 04:26 PM
    Problem persists after uninstalling 2 suspects...I guess they have an alibi !!

I suppose I managed to cause the problem on my own...oh, that would make a great song title, On MY Own

However, I am new to Android, so, not sure, but could I have caught a virus?

The horror of it all....
    05-29-2010 04:53 PM
    Thanks, Foxman. Didn't realize that market was for uninstall also. I'm still thinking in Win mobile logic.

So far, android is fun, cool, and sexy...but w/o Outlook support (not a 27 step work-around) I'm still in mourning!!!

BTW: after uninstalling 2 apps I suspected of causing the problem and reseting, the Application problem still exists. I have no desire to willingly involve myself in a hard reset, though. Guess I'll have to live with it for now.

Thanks again for your quick reply.

All the best.

BreakThruGuy

Twitter: @BreakThruGuy
    This is an oxymoron =P

Problem persists after uninstalling 2 suspects...I guess they have an alibi !!

I suppose I managed to cause the problem on my own...oh, that would make a great song title, On MY Own

However, I am new to Android, so, not sure, but could I have caught a virus?

The horror of it all....
    To my knowledge, there aren't any Android viruses (yet). I am sure the iPhone would be the first platform targeted though. But tbh, for most hakers its far more profitable to simply make viruses for Windows XP/Vista/7. Remember, something like 60% of people still use IE as their browser *shakes head sadly*. And you must really be a Windows user if you go right to thinking its a virus =P

Check out AppBrain (liked in my signature) for app recommendations/reviews and whatnot.
    05-29-2010 08:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD