HOW-TO Compile ICS AOSP 4.0.3 (XOOM/GNEX/NEXUS S)

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I just finished building on my MBP in a VM running Ubuntu 10.04LTS. It took about 45 mins, which I thought was shockingly fast (maybe not since the VM has 4GB of my RAM and a 16GB swap). If you are a Mac user and want to build in MacOS - don't... seriously, save yourself a night and just set up a dual boot or a VM.

I have a question though, I got the build working with a data connection but the camera isn't working. I learned so far that it requires a proprietary driver that isn't open sourced, so what should I be looking for to get that piece working?

I think there's a mention of a link somewhere in this thread that addresses this.

Sent from the future on my Samsung Galaxy S 3!

Snylter

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Is 4.0.4 available yet?
I heard some rumors stating that the LTE-version will get 4.0.4 OTA these days..
I would like to build an AOSP 4.0.4 for my GSM Galaxy Nexus..

makeotapackage-j4

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Is 4.0.4 available yet?
I heard some rumors stating that the LTE-version will get 4.0.4 OTA these days..
I would like to build an AOSP 4.0.4 for my GSM Galaxy Nexus..
The 4.0.4 release is only a leak as of now and I don't believe that Google has ever officially confirmed, nor denied this build's existence. I have been using the 4.0.4 leak on my Nexus S 4G for almost a week, and it does seem ready for release, however.. nobody (except insiders, of course) can speak with much certainty as to what Google's intentions behind this build number are. It could be just one of many test builds that will never see the light of day. The possibilities are endless. One thing I can say for sure though, is that the source has not been made public yet. Whether or not 4.0.4 even pans out, I wouldn't worry about it. Nothing stands out about it, so you're not missing anything noticeable..Just keep building, and good luck :)

Zottig

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I have a 4G Xoom and have been wondering why ICS hasn't officially come out yet.

When I read Jerry's excellent instructions, it almost seems too easy and given there is no OEM bloatware... why isn't it out yet if compiling is this easy?

Then I wonder why so many ROMs for the Xoom have one thing or another that still doesn't work. I guess I am confused what benefit there is in waiting on the real build of ICS for the Xoom. I've stayed away from an AOSP build because I don't want half of the tablet's functionality lost and I figure if people smarter than me can't get it 100%... well that's why I've been waiting rather than doing the AOSP thing. But this makes it sound like it'll just work because it's a Google Experience Device.

So I guess I am confused as to what is "lost" if you roll your own. And if the answer is nothing, then why are so many ICS builds for the Xoom hobbled in one way or another?

Ben

divya26987

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site

miltonlie

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello AOSP fans, did anyone else get this to build yet? I was able to successfully compile it and flash the 4.0.3_r1 tag to my LTE Galaxy Nexus. It boots up and connects to Wifi, however no cell service. It appears to be missing drivers for the LTE radio and possibly bluetooth.

Found this thread that describes how to pull the proprietary binaries from a stock LTE Nexus.

CDMA Binaries - xda-developers

So far I can't get this to work though... when I rebuild after running the extract script I get an image that causes my phone to get stuck at the Google logo.

Would be very interested to hear if anyone has gotten further.

Andrew
Got same issue. Anybody had any luck with Verizon Galaxy Nexus device?

androidg33k

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I am confused too, and would appreciate it if someone could explain this. I can see why rolling your own build has issues with non google experience devices due to the unavailability of binaries for hardware support. But since those are readily available for all google experience devices including XOOM and Nexus S (Binaries for Nexus Phones and Flagship Devices - Google Support for Nexus Phones and Flagship Devices - Google Code), what is it that's preventing an AOSP build to work properly?

I have a 4G Xoom and have been wondering why ICS hasn't officially come out yet.

When I read Jerry's excellent instructions, it almost seems too easy and given there is no OEM bloatware... why isn't it out yet if compiling is this easy?

Then I wonder why so many ROMs for the Xoom have one thing or another that still doesn't work. I guess I am confused what benefit there is in waiting on the real build of ICS for the Xoom. I've stayed away from an AOSP build because I don't want half of the tablet's functionality lost and I figure if people smarter than me can't get it 100%... well that's why I've been waiting rather than doing the AOSP thing. But this makes it sound like it'll just work because it's a Google Experience Device.

So I guess I am confused as to what is "lost" if you roll your own. And if the answer is nothing, then why are so many ICS builds for the Xoom hobbled in one way or another?

Ben

datzstr8

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

thanks for the tutorial. I was able to build my first aosp ics ROM with your help. I have one question. I would like to make the kernel insecure. Does the aosp source include the kernel or does it download prebuilt kernels? I just need to know so I can look elsewhere for the kernel source. Couldn't find any source when I searched in the aosp directories.

thanks.

cstamatin13

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Was sent as a pm, but didn't know u couldn't get them. I would rather not bug to many people so I don't wanna post a new thread. But to Jerry.

Hey Jerry. My name is Costa Stamatinos, and I'm a learning enthusiast who gonna start classes this year for programming. I'm 28 so its a bit of a late start, but I'm a real quick learner. Anyway, I'm starting to get more into building but I'm having a hard time. I followed ur guide, as well as others I've read, to get everything started but i keep getting stuck a different places. Instead of just writing back and forth through AC, is there any better way to get a hold of u, or other help full people for questions? Do u get on an irc channel a lot? Just figured irc out about 2 months ago, but it seems to be great for stuff like this. Thx for the help and any info u can throw my way. Also think ur guide on AC just got compromised. Was on it this morning, now it says its a harm full site. Might just be me, but I thought I'd bring it up anyway. If u want u can email me instead of writing back. Its the same as my name on here, but at Gmail. Thx again man.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

sumnewdude

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: HOW-TO Compile ICS AOSP (XOOM/GNEX/NEXUS S)

Getting the AOSP source

[NOTE]If you have a Sprint Nexus S, you have one more step. Enter the following at the terminal:
Code:
cd ~/myAOSP
make signapk
it will run for a minute or two, and when it's finished:
Code:
cd ~/myAOSP
vendor/samsung/crespo4g/reassemble-apks.sh
[/NOTE]

Hello! At this step when I execute
Code:
./vendor/samsung/crespo4g/reassemble-apks.sh
I get the error
Code:
Unable to access jarfile build/target/product/security/platform.x509.pem
the folder security/ isn't even present in the product directory...
Is there a way I can pull this? I have done a sync several times.
Thanks!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Was sent as a pm, but didn't know u couldn't get them. I would rather not bug to many people so I don't wanna post a new thread. But to Jerry.

Hey Jerry. My name is Costa Stamatinos, and I'm a learning enthusiast who gonna start classes this year for programming. I'm 28 so its a bit of a late start, but I'm a real quick learner. Anyway, I'm starting to get more into building but I'm having a hard time. I followed ur guide, as well as others I've read, to get everything started but i keep getting stuck a different places. Instead of just writing back and forth through AC, is there any better way to get a hold of u, or other help full people for questions? Do u get on an irc channel a lot? Just figured irc out about 2 months ago, but it seems to be great for stuff like this. Thx for the help and any info u can throw my way. Also think ur guide on AC just got compromised. Was on it this morning, now it says its a harm full site. Might just be me, but I thought I'd bring it up anyway. If u want u can email me instead of writing back. Its the same as my name on here, but at Gmail. Thx again man.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Check my guide (in my signature) and go from there. You can also post in there and feedback will be available.