So why should I replace my Android with CyanogenMOD

KayeNg

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
1.Can anyone give me reasons why I should do so?

If you think I should, what are the features in my current Android that would be missing in CyanogenMOD? Aside from SWYPE.

2. Does older versions of CyanogenMOD have SWYPE?

3. If I don't like it, would it be easy to switch back to Android and make it seem like it was never tampered with, Samsung settings and all

4. Is it really less expensive to have internet access via wifi tethering from mobile phone? How so?
...Don't carriers charge a lot for internet connection? I'm asking because I think CyanogenMod has wifi tether feature?

Please answer ALL questions.

Thanks guys.

I'm using Samsung Galaxy Ace, Android 2.3.4
Already rooted I think, I have the Superuser icon...

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
1.Can anyone give me reasons why I should do so?
This is completely your choice. Rooting and running a custom ROM like Cyanogen opens a new world to tweaks and hacks that normal stock os doesn't have. In the case of CM (Cyanogen Mod) you can do so many user changeable things from different battery mods to changing lock screens, picking different notification power bar widgets and so much more....
If you think I should, what are the features in my current Android that would be missing in CyanogenMOD? Aside from SWYPE.

2. Does older versions of CyanogenMOD have SWYPE?
No. Cyanogen is based on AOSP with mods and AOSP doesn't have Swype.
3. If I don't like it, would it be easy to switch back to Android and make it seem like it was never tampered with, Samsung settings and all
Depends on the device and the amount of work to return to stock but yes it can be done with no signs of ever rooting or running ROMs. Seeing your running a Samsung, they normally use Odin to return to stock so it shouldn't be too painful of a process...
4. Is it really less expensive to have internet access via wifi tethering from mobile phone? How so?
...Don't carriers charge a lot for internet connection? I'm asking because I think CyanogenMod has wifi tether feature?
The built in wifi tethering is a nice feature for those on the go who have a laptop with them a lot and aren't near wifi locations all the time and/or want to save money from having to buy a separate WIFI service for their laptop. Even works good at home for those who do choose to use it on their home computers instead of paying for service from their cable or phone service. Again this all depends on your data package with your carrier. You can easily use up data limits quickly with heavy tethering usage on top of your normal smartphone use. Last note on this, naturally this option isn't as "speedy or fast" as normal internet but for many users its enough to get by.
Please answer ALL questions.

Thanks guys.

I'm using Samsung Galaxy Ace, Android 2.3.4
Already rooted I think, I have the Superuser icon...
Think that about covers it.. Best of luck.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Paul pretty much summed it up nicely. It's a custom ROM based on aosp. If you don't mind losing the stock look of the phone and want something cleaner, lighter and has good features, then give cyanogen mod a try.

kwknott

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I have swype running on cyanogenmod. Just go to their website and sign up and they'll send you an email to download it to your phone. Make sure the email is sent to your phone. It's Swype Beta but haven't had any issues

Clifford12

Aug 15, 2017
Visit site
If you’ve been thinking about running a custom OS on your smartphone, my kind advice is for you to better think again. Is it really worth all the trouble to install a custom OS on your phone and break your warranty?

A custom OS can cause critical problems in phone and installed applications. You may have good reasons why you want to install custom OS, but here are the 5 reasons why you’ll regret it:

1.Bugs, bugs, bugs
2.Compromised Camera Features
3.Unsupported Hardware and Apps Issues
4.Shorter Battery Life
5.Losing OEM Warranty

Free Your Phone And Lock Yourself

A lot of people want to install a custom OS on their phones, most commonly Cyanogen, because they believed it gives them more freedom with their devices.
True enough, installing a custom OS comes with a lot of benefits, like privacy, flexibility with apps, and constant updates.

The Android operating system is an open source system that allows individual developers to explore and customize their own software or firmware based on it.
However, OEMs (original equipment manufacturer) hold the responsibility in providing firmware updates to all the handsets they made available in the market; they take this game seriously, and in fact, it is one of their selling points.

Changing your phone’s firmware is really going to compromise your OEM Warranty, some phone features, and some must-have OEM-installed apps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC