identifying music

missnessa13

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone tell me if there is an app that you can download that will identify the title of a song just by holding the phone near the speaker , sort of allowing the phone to listen to music from your radio??

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I was using the free versions of both until the pro versions of both both went on sale for 10 measely cents during the promotion a few weeks ago.

They are pretty comparable, so I have no preference one over the other. I think Shazam starts up a little faster than Soundhound though, but maybe it's just me (Plus I like the color scheme better). On the other hand, I think Soundhound actually identifies the song in fewer notes...at least it seems like it.

Soundhound probably gets a slight edge since you can sing or hum a song and it'll identify it, while I think you actually need a recording with Shazam.

I have also noticed Soundhound has a problem with live tracks, and will identify them as the recorded track. Shazam always seems to identify them as the correct version ((in fact, I just verified this playing several live tracks).

And you don't have to hold them up next to the speaker. I've even used both in stadiums and restaurants with lots of noise in the foreground, and it still picks them up.

I have never found a song that one identifies and the other does not (other than the previously mentioned mixups Soundhound has with live tracks).

In a nutshell, they're comparable to each other, with Shazam coming out on top for me for identifying live vs recorded tracks and Soundhound coming out on top for recognizing my (horrible) singing and humming.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463