What is bloatware? And how do I remove it?

cotylee1991

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I see this all over the forums about people removing the bloatware that CM (CyanogenMod) creates. What exactly is bloatware? What is it used for? Is it safe to remove it? How do I remove it, and what are the benefits of removing it?
Thanks for any and all help! :)

•LG Optimus V
•IHO BACKside CM7.2 (Jan. 10th, 2012 Build)

Sent from my LG Optimus V.
IHO BACKside CM7.2
"Cracker for fun, hacker for LIFE!"

baseballfanz

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
"Bloatware" or "crapware" are usually extra apps that either manufacturer or carrier put on the phone. Mostly they're for making them some extra money.:D
There's no bloatware in CM ROM. It's built from AOSP and is pretty clean except for a few things like extra wallpapers ect but not bloatware imo.
Anyway to remove bloatware you'll need to be rooted as these apps are store in the system partition.

cotylee1991

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
"Bloatware" or "crapware" are usually extra apps that either manufacturer or carrier put on the phone. Mostly they're for making them some extra money.:D
There's no bloatware in CM ROM. It's built from AOSP and is pretty clean except for a few things like extra wallpapers ect but not bloatware imo.
Anyway to remove bloatware you'll need to be rooted as these apps are store in the system partition.

Okay, thank-you!

Sent from my LG Optimus V.
IHO BACKside CM7.2
"Cracker for fun, hacker for LIFE!"

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Most Developer ROMs do not have OEM Apps and Widgets. If a ROM does, the Developer usually states so in the ROM thread.