Repeat Notifications

The Lip

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I am using the stock HTC e-mail program on my Droid Incredible to access my Gmail account. Up until recently, I would get a single notification for each new e-mail message that came in. Now when I get a notification that an e-mail has come in I get a follow-up notification every five minutes or so until I open my e-mail program. This started happening even though I didn't change any settings. I have been unable to find a setting either in HTC's e-mail or in Gmail to undo this. I think, but am not sure, that this started up when I upgraded to 2.3.4. Any ideas?

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Could this help? Found it in another forum.

"This is for folks trying to get just one notification per new gmail and not continue to be pestered forever while you're trying to work, sleep, etc.

There are two "out-of-the-box" programs that receive/sound gmail notifications on Android.

1) Menu/All programs/Gmail
2) Menu/All programs/Mail

"Gmail" program notifies the way you want it. "Mail" pesters you forever...

I did the following:

1) Menu/All programs/Gmail/Inbox/Menu/Settings/Email notifications (check to turn on)

2) Menu/All programs/Mail/Inbox/Menu/Settings/Notification settings/Email notifications (uncheck to turn off)

Now I only get one notification when a new message arrives, period... Thank God! "

Android 2.1 Repeating E-Mail Notifications. - Android Forums

The Lip

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
If I follow those instructions then the notification will be from Gmail and clicking on the notification will take me to the Gmail app not the HTC mail app. That doesn't work. I can't believe that the HTC app doesn't allow the user to control repeat notifications.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I know you said you didn't change any settings, but did you try clearing Defaults and Cache in Manage Apps?

Jejiof

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Please excuse my ignorance, but what's the menu button or how do you access menu? This might solve this annoying problem for me.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Do you have four buttons at the bottom of your phone? On my phone, I have a magnifying glass, an arrow, a house and four squares. The four squares is the menu button. It's the left most on my phone.

Jejiof

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't have such button but I just checked my phone's manual and there's a menu button. I touches it but unfortunatelly there's not a Programs (or similar) option.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
The more information you provide when you post the more helpful people can be. What type of phone do you have?

Looking over what I posted again, they are just talking about your apps. I'm not sure what they were getting at, but, they are just saying to open the gmail app, or, the email app. They should both be in your app drawer with all of your other installed apps.

Jejiof

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy FIT but I don't have a Gmail app, I simply configured a Gmail account in the simple email handling program that came with the phone.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
just looking at the picture and knowing how Samsung works, the menu button is the one on the left, and when you press it a small popup comes up that has something along the lines of 6 boxes. something like: add, wallpaper, search, something else and settings. to manage your apps go into the settings button, then applications.

the better place for you to start this little venture is by going into the market and downloading Gmail.....

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy FIT but I don't have a Gmail app, I simply configured a Gmail account in the simple email handling program that came with the phone.

Wuh?! It didn't come with a Gmail App? That's surprising. My phone did.

just looking at the picture and knowing how Samsung works, the menu button is the one on the left, and when you press it a small popup comes up that has something along the lines of 6 boxes. something like: add, wallpaper, search, something else and settings. to manage your apps go into the settings button, then applications.

the better place for you to start this little venture is by going into the market and downloading Gmail.....

I'm gonna say what I boxed in the attached image is the menu button, and, is on the left like piizzadude said.

And, like piizzadude said, get the Gmail App if you don't have it. It should make using Gmail seamless. I am very happy with the app. Email syncs essentially instantly. Sometimes I'll get notification on my phone before my computer.