How-to use the Photon CarDock app without the dock or root

fearjar

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WTF? I can't use CarDock mode without the dock? Wrong. Download
QuickShortcutMaker
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.sika524.android.quickshortcut&hl=en from the market for free. Open the app and scroll down until you see CarDock then click on the 1st line .motorola.cardock2.mainCardockMainActivity. DONE!
Now, I haven't checked if it was because I had the app running that it showed up here in this list the first time, but I went through a lot of crap to get to this. So if this app doesn't work right away let me narrow down how I got here so you can do it.

I downloaded Launcher pro from the market because I read that is how another guy got to the Cardock.
After opening launcherpro long press home screen >shortcuts>activities>scroll to cardock> open it. Press the first line motorola.cardock2.mainCardockMainActivity. Now I had the app on my new launcher pro home screen. Great! But I couldn't move it, and although launcher pro has some cool features I prefer MY home screen.
So I found Moto Home Fix on the market https://market.android.com/details?id=com.nightshadelabs.motoblurhome&hl=en
since none of the launcher switch apps work. So now I can switch back to Blur...but now I can't swap launchers to get to launcher pro so I can use my CarDock without the CarDock.
So then I found QuickShortcutMaker....
So since we are back to square one I now have the best of both worlds.
I used the shortcut maker to make my Cardock shortcut, a launcher pro short cut on my stock home app and a stock home (Blur) shortcut on my launcher pro home screen

So I never lost or had to move one single app. I now have (7) Blur screens CarDock which was my original project LauncherPro's (3) homescreens and neat little app tray. The home screen rotates and looks a lot like it does when the kickstand is out.
Since i have an OtterBox on my Phone and use the case as my dock since it is modified to go in my car I feel I have the best of both worlds. LauncherPro, MotoBlur and OtterBox.

Hope this helps someone. May try to make a video and post the link here of how well it all works together since it took all day. And yea yea.... I know Root could do it. But I'm a dummy, and don't want to void my warranty.
EDIT: IMPORTANT!! You have to go to settings>display> disable kickstand. You can not use the kickstand or it will cause the app to not boot and will kick you back to the homescreen. But all you have to do is turn your phone off then back on.

Last edited:

fearjar

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
fearjar

Great job!

Let us know any changes :)

Thanks, I did find an issue and a way to resolve it. Just added that info to the bottom of the original post. I'm still working out the bugs but I am liking having two launchers and the cardock. Saved $50 and am now modifying my Otterbox clip to accept the common mounting bracket used on most cellphone/gps holders.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX