passwords on web sites

old guy

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Hope this is the proper forum. Didn't find teh answer here on through Google.

THis should be but I'm completely confused on net security. Supposed 'experts' on the net are all over the map on how secure android phones are when sending username/password to a web site.
Some say to NEVER send username/password over ANY network. Others say it is OK on a home wifi but not public wifi. Others say it is OK *IF* I have a firewall installed. Still others say as long as I have a password manager fill in the username/password, I can log on anywhere. For sake of brevity, I will not list all flavors I found.
What is the truth? Should I NEVER log on and check my email from my android phone? Do I need a firewall or password manager?

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I use a password manager to keep passwords encrypted on my device. I also have no problem logging into sites, as long as they are I see https at the beginning of the URL. If it isn't a secure site, I wouldn't even log in on my home computer.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I also have no problem logging into sites, as long as they are I see https at the beginning of the URL. If it isn't a secure site, I wouldn't even log in on my home computer.

Good call. Unless it's a website that isn't that important, like, a new sites or something. Then you can just make up some username and password that don't correspond with any of your serious passwords.

I don't log onto anything important on my phone, just because I'm a little leery. I do anything like web banking on my computer, just to play its safe.

You are probably fine checking your email. Are you using gmail? If not, it's seamless anyway, so, doesn't matter.

If you are really that concerned, get off your carrier's network and input all the passwords. Jump on your wifi, log into whatever you need to like email and save the passwords. Just make you have a short timeout on your phone in case you lose it. Personally, I don't save passwords for anything important, like financial websites, but, that's really up to you.

old guy

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. One question I didn't ask . . .
I'm not worried only about rogue web sites but the dangers some claim of evil-doers sitting in public places and somehow intercepting username/password by some technical magic. Real? Over-hyped?

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Sounds hyped to me. I know people that wont even speak sensitive data over a cellphone. :confused: I have no data to support it, but, I wouldn't sweat it. I can't really fathom how someone would be able to intercept your transmission of data through your carrier's network.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmitrbol