Cheap Phone Recommendations Wanted

Tuckerfan

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Okay, so I cracked the screen on my Aria phone and because I'm in the middle of my contract, I can't easily trade up to a new phone, and if I cancel my service, I'm stuck with an ETF and no phone. I've ordered a digitizer and will attempt to do a DIY screen replacement. If that fails, I'm going to be needing some kind of inexpensive replacement phone until my contract is up and I can get a decent subsidized phone.

So, I'm looking for suggestions for Android phones that will work on AT&T and can be picked up used for about $100. I'm not concerned if the phone doesn't have the highest resolution camera, and I'd even be willing to put up with using a phone that could only handle Edge, if it had some advantages over my Aria (larger screen, easier to root, faster processor, could take a newer OS, or something). I'm not married to any particular manufacturer, so it doesn't have to be another HTC made phone.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Tuckerfan

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Which models? Which models work on AT&T only? Which models are designed to work on T-Mobile, but will work on AT&T? Which models are junk? Which models are a good value? Which models are easy to root? Which models are impossible to root? If I could easily answer those questions by looking at Amazon or eBay, I wouldn't have started this thread.

I was hoping that folks with experience with different models could recommend something, or maybe point me to a reliable source that's not as obvious as Amazon or eBay.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Which models? Which models work on AT&T only? Which models are designed to work on T-Mobile, but will work on AT&T? Which models are junk? Which models are a good value? Which models are easy to root? Which models are impossible to root? If I could easily answer those questions by looking at Amazon or eBay, I wouldn't have started this thread.

I was hoping that folks with experience with different models could recommend something, or maybe point me to a reliable source that's not as obvious as Amazon or eBay.

Well, the only Android I've ever had is the Inspire, so I can't really answer most of those questions without searching it on Google, like you could do.

Tuckerfan

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Well, the only Android I've ever had is the Inspire, so I can't really answer most of those questions without searching it on Google, like you could do.

Silly me, I thought that a forum dedicated to Android phones would have people familiar with the devices who'd be willing to offer advice based on their experience. That way I'd have at least some idea of how to narrow my search down, since there's quite literally dozens of different Android phones out there, not all of which work on AT&T, not all of which are of the same quality or have the same capabilities. Thought that's what the Android community was all about. Certainly I've tried to help folks here when they've had issues with their phones and didn't respond with "Google it."

I could have asked on the general interest boards I go to, but those discussions almost always get hijacked by some wanker, who, instead of offering useful advice, will proceed to blather on about how smartphones are evil or that Android is evil or any of a number of topics unrelated to the subject.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I would imagine that the Inspire, or the captivate would be selling at a fair price at this point. Both are good phones that will get you through your contract.

Hope this helps.

Tuckerfan

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I would imagine that the Inspire, or the captivate would be selling at a fair price at this point. Both are good phones that will get you through your contract.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. It looks like they both might be a wee bit north of my price range, but its possible I could luck up and get a refurb for a price I could afford.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Check craigslist as well as ebay - I've seen some people get really good deals there. Just be careful and do the deal at an AT&T Store so they can check the ESN and make sure it's not a stolen device before you buy it.

Tuckerfan

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Check craigslist as well as ebay - I've seen some people get really good deals there. Just be careful and do the deal at an AT&T Store so they can check the ESN and make sure it's not a stolen device before you buy it.

Oooh, I didn't realize that AT&T permanently blacklisted phones. Thanks for that, and I'll check Craigslist as well.