Google Voice Question

scooz16

May 4, 2010
Visit site
ok so I have a google voice account but still want to use my verizon phone #.

Can I still use google voice's voicemail to text feature without giving out my google voice #??

I guess this is a dumb question....I just don't want to give out a new # to everyone.

Last edited:

krelvinaz

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
You can have your VZW number forward to the google number if you don't pick it up. That way you are not using VZW for voice mail but google voice instead.

You would dial (on your phone)

Dial *71XXXXXXXXXX and press send, replacing the XXX's with your Google Voice number. When done, your voice mails will go there or more accurately, your missed calls will be sent there.

To disable this, dial *73 on your phone and press send.

I do this with another transcription service (PhoneTag) which I have been using for a long time. I've not tried Google voices transcription service yet.

doctorg23

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
krelvinaz has it exactly right.
I have been using Google voice voicemail for the last 6 months (Storm1 and now Incredible). I must say the integration in the Android OS is amazing. Just like having regular voicemail. However, the transcription is pretty inaccurate. I have been providing feedback and "donating" my voicemail to Google for QI purposes. I think it will certainly improve over time. Enjoy!

rayyork

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
krelvinaz has it exactly right.
I have been using Google voice voicemail for the last 6 months (Storm1 and now Incredible). I must say the integration in the Android OS is amazing. Just like having regular voicemail. However, the transcription is pretty inaccurate. I have been providing feedback and "donating" my voicemail to Google for QI purposes. I think it will certainly improve over time. Enjoy!

My sales partner and I get a kick out of reading the transcripts to eachother. They are pretty entertaining :)

rayyork

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
You can have your VZW number forward to the google number if you don't pick it up. That way you are not using VZW for voice mail but google voice instead.

You would dial (on your phone)

Dial *71XXXXXXXXXX and press send, replacing the XXX's with your Google Voice number. When done, your voice mails will go there or more accurately, your missed calls will be sent there.

To disable this, dial *73 on your phone and press send.

I do this with another transcription service (PhoneTag) which I have been using for a long time. I've not tried Google voices transcription service yet.

I'm not as concerned about the VM aspect of things as I am placing calls. I use my GV # as my "public" # (what I give my customers and publish on the web). If I want to call one of these people, I don't want to do it from my VZW # as it will come up on their phone and I don't want to block my # (*67) so I log into GV on the web and place the call from there which is not very easy to do with my Storm.