Wifi keeps turning off at home... please help!

txirish

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I've searched and searched for answers to this online, so I'm posting here (and cross posting a couple of other places) for specific help. I've had an LG Optimus S phone for a month, that I run almost exclusively on wifi (I have a pay-as-you-go plan for data, so I've turned 3G off so I only use it when I need it). Often at home the wifi turns off when the phone is sleeping... I'll turn on the phone to check something, but then I have to manually click the wifi back on and wait for it. Can someone give me some suggestions about how to fix this so that the wifi stays on all the time? Please read the following notes:

> LG Optiumus S running Android 2.2
> Wifi sleep policy has been set to "never" so wifi should stay on when phone is sleeping.
> 3G set to off
> Not rooted - it's "out of the box"
> Static IP set to "Off"
> No power control apps on phone
> My router security is set to "WPA-PSK (TKIP) and WPA2-PSK (AES)" ... I _can_ change it to "WPA2-PSK (AES)" only.

Note: I'm a moron and pretty technically challenged, so I've done the best I can to explain everything. Thank you for any help y'all can give! I appreciate it!

Last edited:

dbareis

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
Often at home the wifi turns off when the phone is sleeping... I'll turn on the phone to check something, but then I have to manually click the wifi back on and wait for it.

Not sure what you are clicking on, the Android WIFI setting, installed widget etc. But if WIFI turning off so that you have to turn it back on that is not anything to do with the WIFI sleep policy (I think). I'd install catlog and record the logged events and see in anything stands out, search it for "wifi" "wi-fi", your ssid and similar.

From the router logs etc you may be able to tell when your device disconnected, maybe same time every day, either way it tells you something. You also say often turns off, that means not always? Maybe running low on memory, that causes all sorts of randomish issues.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
> LG Optiumus S running Android 2.2
> Wifi sleep policy has been set to "never" so wifi should stay on when phone is sleeping.
> 3G set to off
> Not rooted - it's "out of the box"
> Static IP set to "Off"
> No power control apps on phone
> My router security is set to "WPA-PSK (TKIP) and WPA2-PSK (AES)" ... I _can_ change it to "WPA2-PSK (AES)" only.

txirish,

Your settings look good, Wi-Fi never is correct, Static IP off is correct and WPA/WPA2 should be fine.

A little research leads me to believe this is an LG issue with their Stock ROM. I saw where others were experiencing the same problem. Some rooted and loaded a custom ROM, others did nothing.

You may want to check here if you are interested in rooting:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-s-rooting-roms-hacks/

Drew and the other Optimus developers are very good and really know their stuff.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: txirish

txirish

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
txirish,

A little research leads me to believe this is an LG issue with their Stock ROM. I saw where others were experiencing the same problem. Some rooted and loaded a custom ROM, others did nothing.

Drew and the other Optimus developers are very good and really know their stuff.

Hope this helps.

First, thanks for your answer, I appreciate it very much.

Second, what is "stock ROM"? I guess it means the 'out of the box read-only memory'? I guess that if I "rooted" the phone I would install a different ROM? If you can help me understand these terms, I appreciate it. I've looked for a cell phone 'dictionary' of such terms online, but I've had a hard time.

I should note that I'm hesitant to root the phone, but I'm not afraid to do so.

Third, is there a forum where I can post to get in touch with "Drew and the other Optimus developers" about this? I must say that for a newbie like me, it's a great little phone. [Edit =>] I think you mean I should post this question in the forum that you linked? I replied before following your link.

Thanks!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1) "ROM" does mean read only memory, but it's used in cellphone forums to mean the data that's in the phone's ROM - the operating system and firmware. You'll see Froyo, Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich (or ICS) - those are versions of Android that reside in the ROM.

2) Rooting merely opens up the operating system. (In Windows it's like being able to run a program "as administrator" by right-clicking it.) Rooting puts 2 files into the phone, so that apps can get "superuser" access. As long as you don't run an app that does something bad (and it would need superuser access to do that), rooting doesn't hurt anything.

3) I don't have an Optimus, but the link that Stig posted, http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-s-rooting-roms-hacks/, seems like the one to read and post in for rooting an Optimus and finding ROMs for it.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
txirish:

Here's a good "Dictionary" for you: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...tionary-aka-what-hell-they-talking-about.html

Also - I can highly recommend this thread - it's an excellent read for Newbies and experienced users alike: http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/31622-getting-started-android-tips-tricks.html

Lastly, in addition to the ROM's and Mod's forum I linked to earlier, read though the Opimus S general forum here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-optimus-s/

Happy Androiding!

txirish

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Thank you all! I appreciate the links very much. I also didn't realize that there was a whole forum just for the LG Optimus S... I've spent some time there now and it's been very helpful. I'll start posting there. THANK YOU ALL VERY, VERY MUCH!!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670