Are Memory and Battery Apps needed

dewmik

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I notice allot of memory and Battery boosters on the market. I used one called Android Assistant but after installing I had some problems with my phone coming out of sleep.
I looked and see other ones that I am willing to try but I am wondering if they really do allot if anything.

Last edited:

Sn1per 117

Flashaholic
Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
There's a lot of debate over whether or not they truly help any more. They were definitely more useful on older versions of Android, but the newer versions actually take care of memory and battery fairly well depending on how you have everything set up. The best thing to do if you're really concerned is to root and flash a rom that helps to save battery and memory.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Battery apps like Juice Defender I believe work. Memeory apps, or task killers, have mostly been found to do more harm than good since Android has memory management built into it (Froyo and above, anyway). "Need" is pretty objective. The only thing you need on your Andriod is what you want to have.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Battery apps like Juice Defender I believe work. Memeory apps, or task killers, have mostly been found to do more harm than good since Android has memory management built into it (Froyo and above, anyway). "Need" is pretty objective. The only thing you need on your Andriod is what you want to have.

Spot on. Except, don't you mean subjective? :p

I personally don't use a battery app, but, I think I may check some out now that I read this thread. My battery life is pretty good as is, but, I wouldn't turn down improvement. I'm going to have to check some out, just gotta wait until my refurb arrives today. I just hope it doesn't require a sig, wish I coulda sent it to my office...

dewmik

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Well after using the battery app I must say that I didn't notice any real difference in anything. With the exception of looking at it more then several times. That may be because it is new and I was wondering what it was doing. It always said optimal performance.
I am thinking it's tits on a boar.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Well after using the battery app I must say that I didn't notice any real difference in anything. With the exception of looking at it more then several times. That may be because it is new and I was wondering what it was doing. It always said optimal performance.
I am thinking it's tits on a boar.

It's going to make a difference how you have the app configured. Using Juice Defender, I didn't notice much difference using the default settings. After customizing a lot of the settings, I noticed more of a difference. Also, I'm using the paid version and I'm rooted. That gives quite a few more options for customization.

Bottom line is personal preference. If you don't think it's helping, don't bother with it. Plus, it's going to work different on different devices.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
In my opinion the device will run fine without one. If you are experiencing unusual battery drain look through the usage stats and see if something is constantly running and force stop or remove it.

Be savvy with sync'd apps and what runs in the background. Most battery savings and task killer apps are improperly used and do more harm than good.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
To clarify, I feel those apps can do good if used properly. However, I don't recommend using one.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion the device will run fine without one. If you are experiencing unusual battery drain look through the usage stats and see if something is constantly running and force stop or remove it.

I tend to agree with this. When I have some free time (wouldn't that be nice) I'm going to mess around with a battery app, just to see. But, so far, without one, I have experienced more than acceptable battery life.

dewmik

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks y'all for the input. I think because I noticed no difference I'll just keep it off. Plus another issue that came about after adding the apps that may or may not be connected.
Maybe with more learning time I'll try again. For now since _

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
task manager isnt needed as stated above! but i wanna second juice defender! i have the ultimate and i must say my X2^ can go for a a good day and a half with moderate to heavy use!

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad you posted. I finally got my refurb and the email sent to me that there was a post in this thread reminded me I wanted to try it out for myself.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Anyone have any tips for using Juice Defender. I have had it on the default Balanced setting all day and I sorta feel like my battery life was worse. I just browsed the internet on my phone for an hour solid and it used 70% battery. That feels like more than it would normally use.

gxgs

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
Anyone have any tips for using Juice Defender. I have had it on the default Balanced setting all day and I sorta feel like my battery life was worse. I just browsed the internet on my phone for an hour solid and it used 70% battery. That feels like more than it would normally use.

Wut? 70% by just browsing? Are you in a low reception area?

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Nah, was right between Philly and Trenton. I uninstalled Juice Defender. My phone went up to 70% and wasn't really charging anymore while plugged in. And before that it wouldn't go past 90%. Not really working out for me. Never had battery issues before installing it. Just thought it'd be worth it to mess around with. But, it seems to have only given me problems today. I'm glad I tested it though.

Also, when I say browsing I mean I was reading a manga online for an hour, so, that is gonna hit your phone heavy. I mean, we are talking about loading a new image every 10 seconds probably for an entire hour. And the images are good quality. But, I do this frequently and never had it eat up 70% before.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

From my experience the balnced setting is useless. You need to use the customized setting and customize it as much as you can. For some people, it's more restrictive than they would want to be.

I've just recently started using Pandora, and Juice Defender wasn't playing nice with it. So I'm going to try disabling for a while to see if I notice a signifcant difference.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
From my experience the balnced setting is useless. You need to use the customized setting and customize it as much as you can. For some people, it's more restrictive than they would want to be.

I've just recently started using Pandora, and Juice Defender wasn't playing nice with it. So I'm going to try disabling for a while to see if I notice a signifcant difference.

Well, if the balanced setting doesn't show even slight improvement, and, seemed to make my battery life worse, I think I'll scratch further testing with the app. My battery life is good enough and I have three backups, so, I'm not going to waste time on it anymore. Was worth investigating though, for sure.