HTC Desire CDMA S-OFF but no root

Mr. Derp

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hello, before I get started I would like to say sorry, if I am posting in the wrong place. That being said, I need your guy's help... I have a HTC Desire CDMA from Us Cellular with Froyo 2.2. At first I thought Froyo 2.2 couldn't be rooted from what I read, but then I found AlphaRevX and read that it could root your phone.

This is what my phone started off with:
BravoC DVT2 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT - 1.06.0000
Microp - 051e
Touch Panel - SYNT0101
RADIO - 2.15.00.11.16
Dec 22 2010, 16:16:39

I tried to root my phone using Jereso's How to root HBOOT 1.06 guide. Found here. I followed his instructions down to step 6. Step 6 states:
Once completed, your phone should be rooted and S-OFF, but not recovery. Close AlphaRevX and install Titanium Backup from the market to see if you have root, and follow the Backup guide after finishing the next few steps. In case you're just S-OFF, but no root access, you have two options: Try SuperOneClick: [APP]SuperOneClick v2.3.3 - Motorola Exploit Added! - xda-developers Or Try unrEVOked found in the 0.98 HBOOT Guide.
So I just have S-OFF, but no root. :(

My phone is now:
-Revolutionary-
BravoC DVT2 SHIP S-OFF
HBOOT - 6.06.1002
MicroP - 051e
Touch Panel - SYNT0101
Radio - 2.15.00.11.16
Dec 22 2010, 16:16:39

I would go and use UnrEVOked, to further root my phone, but I am a noob and have NO IDEA what I am doing, and am scared about continuing without knowing what I am doing in fear of bricking my phone. I have researched, and researched but I just cannot find straight answers. So I was wondering if anyone can help a noob out? Could anyone please explain to me in detail the process of rooting my phone? Or post a link sending me in the right path? Any advice, and help is GREATLY appreciated.

Again, I have NO IDEA what I'm doing so please don't get irritated if I don't know what your talking about.
Thanks,
Mr. Derp :)

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Fist off - Welcome to AC.

You are in good shape - you can run Unrevoked 3 on your phone with no problem. Even though you are already S-OFF, Unrevoked will install clockwork recovery and Super user on your phone.

Follow the directions here:
public:unrevoked3 [RootWiki]

If you are using Windows, be sure to download the HBOOT drivers and uninstall HTC Sync if you have it installed.

Take your time and follow the directions. Unrevoked is painless.

Hope this helps.

Mr. Derp

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
First off, thanks for replying PvilleComp. :D

And it's a relief knowing that I haven't messed anything up so far. :D I've downloaded UnrEVOked and unzipped it. I also downloaded the HBOOT drivers, and I uninstalled HTC Sync a couple day's ago so I don't have to do that. :)

I'm gonna read the directions right now and try to get a understanding of it... If I run into any problems along the way, would it be fine if I asked you some questions? I'm planning on doing this tonight.

Thanks,
Mr. Derp

Mr. Derp

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Alright guys, this is the procedure I am planning on doing. Please tell me if I am going to be doing anything wrong... So far, I've downloaded and extracted UnrEVOked, and extracted the HBOOT drivers I downloaded.

This is what I haven't done yet, but will do (if you guys think it will work fine):
1. Turn off my phone, then boot it into the HBOOT menu by holding power, and volume down.
2. Connect my phone to my computer, and wait for my phone to say "HBOOT USB PLUG" on screen.
3. I will click start, then right click on Computer, then click Properties, then click Device Manager.
I should then see "Android 1.0" under Other devices.
5. I right click on Android 1.0 and click "Update Driver Software"
I should then be on a screen asking "How do you want to search for driver software?"
6. I click on "Browse my computer for driver software"
7. I click on "Browse" and select the Android USB Driver folder on my computer, I then click "ok", then I click "next".
8. I should get a status bar indicating that the driver is installing, If I get any warnings I just click "Ok."
9. My driver should install and say "Windows has successfully updated your driver software"
10. I click "Close" and make sure "Android Bootloader Interface" is listed under Android phone.
11. I turn off the phone by taking out the battery and putting it back in. Then turn it on and get to the normal home screen.
12. I then extract the UnrEVOked program I downloaded.
13. I then right click the "reflash" file that I got after extracting the UnrEVOked program, and click "run as administrator."
It should open UnrEVOked and say "Waiting for Device."
14. On my phone, I click Menu > Settings > Applications > Development > and make sure USB Debugging is checked ON.
15. Plug in my phone to my computer via USB cable.
16. It should automatically locate my phone that is plugged in, and I can just follow the prompts to continue.
17. Done! I am rooted and have a custom recovery image!

I am using theunlockr.com's updated guide on how to root HTC Desire using UnrEVOked. I was just wondering if this procedure sounds like it would work?

Mr. Derp

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Alright, I did the the procedure above. And unrevoked said done, so I rebooted and checked titanium backup to see if I have root access. But I still don't have root access. I have the superuser installed, and my HBOOT is still 6.06.1002. So what can I do to get root access!? :(

Mr. Derp

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Anyone there? I just went into HBOOT and went to recovery and it said I have ClockWorkMod recovery. So I guess I got the recovery right... Would it be safe to flash a custom rom with my phone right now? I read from this thread this:
Your bootloader will not change. Your recovery, however, will. As long as Unrevoked did it's thing. Like I said above. Boot into recovery, if it is stock recovery, run Unrevoked again. If you see ClockworkMod recovery, go ahead and flash a ROM.
So according to him this person, it would be safe to flash a rom. Can anyone help?

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
To get Titanium to work you probably need to update Superuser. In Titanium at the bottom there is a button that says Problems. Then another that says Upgrade Superuser. It should work after that.

Next thing I would do is download ROM Manager and update Clockwork t the latest version for your phone.

After that, everything you've said it sounds like you are ready to rock and roll. Be sure to make a Backup in clockwork before you flash a new ROM. First rule of ROM flashing... Backup early and Backup Often. If something goes wrong, you can restore your last backup to the setup you had before disaster struck.

Remember, when in doubt, ask.

Happy flashing!

i_am_a_legend

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
I have 2 phones.first is Samsung galaxy Europa 2.2 ,and I have rooted it easily.second is htc desire c,wich haven't rooted it yet(needs s off....)
download kingo root.install it on your pc.enter phone settings,enable usb debbiging mode.
connect phone via usb to computer.kingo root then installs drivers needed.then ,if it recognizes your phone,press root on your computer and...wait :)
ps:phone must select charging mode(kies)
if kingo root don't recognize phone,turn off usb debugging,then turn on.if still don't recognize phone,restart your phone and computer,then try again.:)
after that,install no bloat and delete system useless aplications,like email and Samsung apps.enjoy!:)it worked flawless on my android 2.2
im not a expert,this stuff wont brick your phone,and is REALLY EASY...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar