Help transferring from computer to phone

Jewel S

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I am in desperate need of assistance. Not being tech savvy, and sometimes being lost on the lingo, I need clear, step by step if someone can assist.

I am trying to download an axp file (app) from a web site that will not come up on the phone when I google it.

So, I downloaded the app to my computer and cannot for the life of me get it to the phone. Droid Incredible 1, version 2.3.4.

I connected via the usb, a few of the phone's files came up in a removeable disk. Of those I could actually find on the phone, I cut and pasted the app to each one at a time and it did not show up in any of those files, two being download files (only found one on the phone).

I also downloaded my email provider to the phone, accessed an email with an attachment of the app, and when I attempted to download it to the phone, a message popped up stating that the app could not be opened on the phone, did I want to download anyway. I did and could not find it on the phone anywhere.

I did look in the notifications to see if it was successful, but was so flustered I'm not sure now if it was the email provider or the app that showed as having been downloaded.

I thought if I could open the app on the computer maybe that would make it easier or doable somehow, but 'Windows cannot open this file." Running Vista Home Premium.

Oh, I believe apx is zipped (?), for that reason I also downloaded Astro File manager. Not sure how to use it, but something I read suggested it would open apx files. Any tips on that would be greatly appreaciated as well.

Thanks so much!

Last edited:

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Use Astro to look in your sdcard and on your EMCC internal storage. You should see you file where you put it in one or the other.

When you plug the DInc into USB in Hard Drive mode, 3 new drives will appear. One is your internal storage, the second is your SD Card and the third is a CDROM virtual drive for installing VZW's media nonsense. (Sorry I don't remember which is which, it's been a long time since I was Stock on my DInc.)

Generally Attachments and web downloads will be in a download directory on the SD Card or the EMCC (Internal) partition.

Once you find the file, you should be able to install it by long pressing on it.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Jewel S

Jewel S

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
That does help! Thank you.

Now I know why I was seeing 2 drives. Didn't get why CDROM was one of them. I did only see one other though. I'll have to take a closer look when I attempt this again tomorrow.

So all I have to do is what I did actually, copy and paste the file to one of those that shows on the drive, right? If that's all there is too it, it has to be on the phone somewhere, but the drive showed two download files, found only one on the phone and it wasn't in there.

Too, I'm such a newb, would you mind telling me what long pressing is?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
A long press is when you press and hold down your finger on the screen until something happens, like a menu pops up. A short press is just tapping the screen briefly like you do to interact with most things on the phone.

Also, don't forget to hit the thanks button if you were helped by someone on the forums. :D

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site

Jewel S

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
So I was able to finally get the apk file onto the phone, and it appears, installed, via Astro. It's still not working and I'm unsure as to the reason. I'm not even sure exactly how I got it there since I had tried the same thing prior to my first posting without success. When that failed I attemtped to download it from an attachment in email and couldn't find for a day and a half. When I did and pressed on it (long press :~)), a message stated it could not be opened. I can't even delete it. Once also, a message appeard stating the SD card was not available, but I assume it is in internal memory.

When I couldn't find it I tried the cut and paste again, this time to the Astro file which I believe is on the SD card. Downloaded it from the market web site (do apps from the market website automatically go there?)

Question is - do some apps not work when stored on a card? Could that be the problem?

If that might be the problem, is it possible to move it from there to internal storage?
I'm so hoping I won't have to start from the beginning again.

PvilleComp - I'm looking forward to spending some time at the sites you left links for, thanks. Especially after not knowing what something like a long press is when it's pretty much self explanitory, though I did have a laugh at myself when I learned what it is (thanks Devinator).

Last edited:

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
It's okay, we're all newbs to everything at some point.

I'm not sure if any apps have problems running from the SD card, but, if you want to test it, from your home screen, press the menu button (if you have four physical buttons it's the left most), then select Manage Apps. Find your app in the All tab and select it. From there there should be a button that says Move to phone. If not, then it's already on internal storage and probably says something else like Move to media area. Actually, I just looked at the Amazon Appstore. It must be installed on ineternal because it says Move to media area. But, the button is grayed out. which I take to mean it's installed on internal, but, you can't move it to the SD. So, that might answer your question that certain apps can't be run from the SD.

Just out of curiosity. Have you successfully installed any other APKs before? If not, you might want to give it a shot. That way you can at least rule out it being a problem with the APK. If you can successfully install another APK, you know that APK has an problem. If you can't, then we can go back to the drawing board.

Reactions: covard

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Some apps can't be run from the SD Card as Devinator mentioned. They have to be coded to run from the SD card, though Though my Dev years are too far behind me to answer the question of how to do that. Perhaps one of the Dev's on the Forum anc answer that - I'll post a heads up to them for that.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Could you give us a few more details about the app itself? The axp is not a standard extension for apps, but it is used alot for auto-cad and some other software.

To answer one of your questions, some apps do not function properly on the sdcard. A few examples:
--keyboards (will work, but will not be able to permanently set as default)
--themes/icon-packs (will not work at all)
--apps with widgets (the apps will work, but not the widget)
--apps that attempt to communicate with the system or outside servers at start-up (photobucket is a good example, often gives FCs at boot when installed on the sdcard)

One trick to getting any file onto your phone is to change the file extension first to something common such as .txt or .zip etc. This will allow you to download the file to your phone, then you will have to use a file manager, a terminal, or adb to change the file extension back to it's proper designation. ;)

Reactions: PvilleComp

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney