Using default Google apps without syncing, a.k.a privacy

Ecir Hana

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I just got my first Android device - Galaxy Nexus running 4.0.1 version.

So far I really like what I see but I have one (and really only one) problem: is it possible to use Android without Google account? Also People and Calendar apps? I mean, I don't want to upload my events and contacts to some server, I just simply don't like it. Currently, when I try to add an event Android asks for an account - is it possible to use the Calendar just locally?

What other options do I have - create a dummy account and then disable syncing? Does it really not sync? Or should I install some other calendar app which doesn't require the account? Should I root the phone, install Cyanogen and disable same obscure setting?

Please - I really want to like Android but sending my stuff somewhere is something too much for me - how to keep my contacts, events, locations, search history as much private as possible?

Is it even possible to see if an applications sends something out? And to see what exactly is it sending?

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Look under accounts and sync in Settings for your phone. Select your Gmail account and you can turn off sync for calendar and contacts.

There is local storage for both so you do not have to use the Gmail versions. Next time you are prompted, check and see if there is a "use this account as default" check box. Then it will use the local as the default and not prompt you anymore.

Yes you do have to have a Gmail account to use the phone, but you can create a dummy account, as you mentioned, just for the phone.

Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781