Searched around but haven't found anything concret concerning this issue.

If I have my phone set to silent or vibrate and I have my headset plugged in, any notifications that come in, I don't hear it in my headset. So if its on vibrate and I don't feel the vibrate or if the phone is on silent and its sitting on a desk and I don't see it, I miss it. Is there anyway for notifications to come out of the headset regardless of which one you set on the handset?

I ask this because more often than not, I have my phone on vibrate and I'm wearing a headset with mic but won't know there's a call coming in.

thanks for all the help.
    06-09-2010 02:51 PM
    Short answer: nope. Long answer: not in any of those two modes. Okay, let's get down to business!

Android has six different sound types that can be independently adjusted. The two we are interested in right now is Ringer volume, and Notifications volume. They both are exactly what they say on the tin. Silent mode and vibrate mode turn down three of the six sound levels to 0. Out of which two are... you see where I'm going? Both Ringer and Notifications volume get turned down to 0 when you set silent or vibrate, so you hear nothing. Unfortunately, there's no way you can have different settings for when the headphone is plugged in.

The best thing you can do is search the market for an audio profile manager app. Audiomanager Widget and Quick Settings are two apps I tried that can do this, but there's tons more, just search. Once you have your app of choice, create some profiles for normal and headphone use and you're as good to go as you can get. Word of advice: turn down the volume for the headphones!!! I learned this the hard way...

edit: I did a quick search on the market, and I found two prospective apps for you to check out: Headset Profiler and Advanced Audio Manager. One free, one paid. Unlike the two apps I mentioned before, I haven't used any of these two. They advertise to switch audio profiles on headphone plugin/pulling-out. Check them out, see if they work for you. What you could do with them I guess, is set your phone to vibrate/silent, but have it automatically switch to the headset profile when you plug in.
    06-10-2010 10:56 AM
    You are THE man! I'm using Headset Profiler and it does EXACTLY what I want. Thanks a million.

Edit:

Actually, after installing headset profiler, it worked, until I switched profiles and then it stopped working. Quck settings doesn't work, and I'm going to try Advanced audio manager and see how that works. its $1.99.

update: hmmm doesn't seem to be working. the ringer is still coming out of the external speaker even when set on silent mode and vibrate mode.
    06-11-2010 12:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD