So I am signing up for Google Voice for my new Incredible and cannot decide whether to Get Google Voicemail or Get a new Google Number.

My biggest concern is does using the Google Number use up your monthly plan minutes with Verizon?

I figure when you sign up you have to decide either Get Google Voicemail or Get a new Google Number and then cannot change it.

My other problem is right now yahoo.com is my primary email address account so not sure how that figures into the whole equation. And even if I go with the Google Number, I may not necessarily give it out to everyone, maybe use it more as a disposable email address purpose; only to business and things I sign up for where I don't want to get them my primary number.

Suggestions?
    06-13-2010 07:42 PM
    They can still call your cell # directly if you get a GV#. but with the gv# you get free SMS.
    06-13-2010 08:20 PM
    So not sure why anyone would go with just GV instead of also getting the google number?

BTW, guess all I need to do is add the google number to the Verizon's Friends and Family list so no minutes are used in the monthly calling plan?

They can still call your cell # directly if you get a GV#. but with the gv# you get free SMS.
    06-13-2010 08:27 PM
    I have a google voice number and have google voice set up as the primary voicemail of my cell phone. I'm an old grandcentral member so not sure if somehow that helped me, but there is a way to get google voicemail for your phone and have the google number. Yes I would add GV to your friends & family after you've been called from it.
    06-13-2010 08:50 PM
    So using Google Voice won't use any of your Verizon minutes?
    06-14-2010 05:55 AM
    I don't have Friends & Family so I can't say with complete confidence; however if you can add the inbound and outbound GV numbers, I would think you wouldn't be charged minutes.
    06-14-2010 01:02 PM
    Anyone on with Verizon and familiar with this? You can only add name and numbers of people who you call regularly and are not on the Verizon network. In this case where people would be calling your new Google Number, seems there is no way to avoid using minutes correct?
    06-14-2010 02:47 PM
    For outgoing calls, Google Voice (GV) uses an access number. Once you make a call, you can figure out what that is and add it to F&F (so all outgoing calls will be free).

For incoming calls, GV has a setting on the website that lets you choose to see the incoming call number or your own GV number on the caller ID. So you could get all incoming free if you set it to show your GV number and add that to your F&F. You can then screen all calls through GV - when a call comes in it will announce the caller and you hit 1 to take the call or something else to send to voicemail. Not practical for me, but it may be for some.
    06-14-2010 02:59 PM
    Hmmm, great info! Trying to determine how practical that would be as the only way you won't be charged for incoming calls then is to set it to your own google number, but then you will never have the caller ID feature each time some calls you right?

Also, still trying to understand if you link your home phone number and your cell number both one of your friends, what happens if you end up not answering either place, does it only go into your google voice mailbox, but not on the answering machine at your home?

Forgot to ask too, and the access number is only if you go with using the Google Number right? Thinking I might just sign up for the Google Number, but not use it regularly. Wondering how just Google Voice works if that makes sense.

For outgoing calls, Google Voice (GV) uses an access number. Once you make a call, you can figure out what that is and add it to F&F (so all outgoing calls will be free).

For incoming calls, GV has a setting on the website that lets you choose to see the incoming call number or your own GV number on the caller ID. So you could get all incoming free if you set it to show your GV number and add that to your F&F. You can then screen all calls through GV - when a call comes in it will announce the caller and you hit 1 to take the call or something else to send to voicemail. Not practical for me, but it may be for some.
    06-14-2010 03:08 PM
    Hmmm, great info! Trying to determine how practical that would be as the only way you won't be charged for incoming calls then is to set it to your own google number, but then you will never have the caller ID feature each time some calls you right?

Also, still trying to understand if you link your home phone number and your cell number both one of your friends, what happens if you end up not answering either place, does it only go into your google voice mailbox, but not on the answering machine at your home?

Forgot to ask too, and the access number is only if you go with using the Google Number right? Thinking I might just sign up for the Google Number, but not use it regularly. Wondering how just Google Voice works if that makes sense.
    Correct, if you set GV to show your own number on Caller ID, that's the only thing you will see. However, for missed calls and voicemails received, the Voice app on the phone will show the actual number.

Regarding the home and cell numbers, you can set (in GV settings on the web) how long the phone rings before going to GV voicemail. If your home answering machine picks up first, that's the only place it will be. I prefer to have the message in GV and not use the home machine.

And your last question, yes, the access number will only be helpful on F&F if you are using the Voice app on the phone for outgoing calls. In addition, it's the only easy way to have your GV number show up on the other person's Caller ID.
    06-14-2010 03:23 PM
    So what about the google email account? I assume you have to use that in order to work that with Google Voice?

What is my current primary email address is with yahoo, can I keep that or link them or something?

Trying to avoid switching over to gmail entirely as my primary email account.
    06-15-2010 01:15 PM
    You have to have a Google account for GV. However, you don't have to have a gmail account.

So I am signing up for Google Voice for my new Incredible and cannot decide whether to Get Google Voicemail or Get a new Google Number.
    It boils down to this:

Without a GV number all you get is voicemail. Note that you can switch down the road.

With a GV number, you have all the other GV features (they only work if callers call your GV number). That said, you don't have to use your GV number even if you get one.

Suggestions?
    Switch entirely over or don't bother with GV at all. The partial switching is more of a pain than it's worth IMO. If everyone uses your GV number you can use GV to control inbound calls and fully utilize GV.

So not sure why anyone would go with just GV instead of also getting the google number?
    Some people just want the voicemail. It doesn't really matter what anyone else does. You need to sort out what works for you.

Trying to determine how practical that would be as the only way you won't be charged for incoming calls then is to set it to your own google number, but then you will never have the caller ID feature each time some calls you right?
    Keep in mind that your F&F list still counts for inbound calls. I have 10 slots (9 after adding the GV access number for free outbound). The 9 remaining numbers are still free inbound and that works for me. YMMV, of course.
    06-15-2010 03:45 PM
    GREAT feedback! Thanks!

And the GV access number is obtain after you place your first call?

You have to have a Google account for GV. However, you don't have to have a gmail account.

It boils down to this:

Without a GV number all you get is voicemail. Note that you can switch down the road.

With a GV number, you have all the other GV features (they only work if callers call your GV number). That said, you don't have to use your GV number even if you get one.

Switch entirely over or don't bother with GV at all. The partial switching is more of a pain than it's worth IMO. If everyone uses your GV number you can use GV to control inbound calls and fully utilize GV.

Some people just want the voicemail. It doesn't really matter what anyone else does. You need to sort out what works for you.

Keep in mind that your F&F list still counts for inbound calls. I have 10 slots (9 after adding the GV access number for free outbound). The 9 remaining numbers are still free inbound and that works for me. YMMV, of course.
    06-15-2010 08:43 PM
    Can anyone recommend a newbie how best to learn about GV; is there any kind of "how to" or tutorial?
    06-17-2010 06:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD