absurdly fast power consumption

dontbesojumpy

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
i have an HTC sensation 4g that i got roughly a month ago.

the battery dies sharply if i use it at all, regardless of the weight of applications used.

i have run around the whole bush with Tmobile about how i can't use it for the things it does. gotta turn alllll the perks of a smartphone off because apparently that's not what they are for.
because duh, who would use their phone for the functions it's supposed to do? clearly that will devour all your battery.

i know i seem snarky, but i have this thing crippled til it's worthless and the battery dies at the same rate regardless.

i get verbose, so here's a quick summarization of lengthy text below:
it goes from full to dead pretty much within 4 hours if you use it at all. texts murder it just as fast as wifihot spot or whatever else. if i don't actually look at the thing, like, never turning it on, the rate of consumption tapers off a little. see the pic.the shallow angles are on standbye. that screencap was between 4:26 pm (when i unplugged it from a full, overnight and all day charge) and 8:14. i did nothing but text. no calls, no wifi/hotspot/web browsing. no videos, no nothing. no aps running, and so on and so forth. all i did at all was text and it died that fast.

a few key points:
1. after contacting both HTC and Tmobile, i have followed all their recommendations for prolonging battery life.
*screen dimmed to lowest setting
*time-out set to 15 seconds. (note: this is particularly annoying. you cannot read a long text or email without the screen timing out. suuper fun, that).
*wifi always of, rarely used.
*bluetooth always off
*updates always off
*GPS always off (note: retrieving weather is now manually done, the homescreen displays "no weather data available" until i manually check the weather).

*hotspot always off
*power saver enables/prolong battery mode enabled (forget what that's called).
*fast boot turned off.
*kill-all ap function utilized constantly.

2. the battery dies nonetheless. sometimes it dies overnight while on standby.
3. after weeks of this, got Tmob to send me a new battery.
4. new battery dies at the same rate.
5. the only power-eater that registers is the screen display. the only things that have ever registered at all, ever, have been "cell standby" and "calls," neither ever accounting for more than 3% of usage. to be clear: the battery usage is always around 98% "display." display is, once again, set to the lowest dim setting.

typically all i use the phone for are texts. not a big talker and don't do much webstuff. i certainly never watch videos or do anything like youtube on it. ever. i don't download on it. io don't even take that many photos.

i do some light internetting (checking sports scores, googling a word definition and checking facebook, never for more than 5 or so minutes at a time.).

i have a battery graph and the angle of descention is steeper than the rate of charging ascention.

to experiment, i did nothing but text one day. no other use. it died at the same rate as leaving it on for a few hours as a wifi hotspot. in either case, it died in just a few hours. if i do use it for wifi/hotspot/have a long call, it will die in the moments of use.

having gone through two batteries, i'm starting to think either 1. smartphones are useless bricks or 2. this one is some kind of messed up??

it doesn't act too buggy all that much. i often have to tap it to get the screen orientation to adjust correctly.
if i get a text while i'm composing a text, it goes haywire, to the point sometimes it knocks me out of the text application and all of the sudden my keystrokes are calling random people or something else (because it jumped to my contacts or call list). the text bug is by far the most noticeable: receiving a text while you are composing always makes, at the very least, your words jumble all up.

it freeze up sometimes and i have to restart.

so.

question is, what's my move, here? is the phone a dud? is there more things i can't use it for?

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I just started having issues with this a couple of weeks ago. Prior to that, my phone would last the day, no problem. Now I can't without charging it. And, I kept waking up in the morning to it being dead (which is bad since it's my alarm for work).

So, I swapped batteries to one of my backups, same issue. Come to find out, somehow it was switched to the Battery Mode Performance Mode, not Nighttime Saver. So, I switched it to Nighttime saver. It seems to be better now, but, I'm still waking up with the phone mostly drained (at least it's not dead anymore).

No idea how this has happened. My use hasn't changed. If I can't figure it out, I think I'll factory reset and hope that fixes it. Have you tried that?

dontbesojumpy

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
no OS updates and it's fairly brand new.

i feel like the screen being on (at all, for any reason/any use) just melts the battery down insanely fast.

tonight i will test just leaving the screen on and see if htat runs the battery down as quickly. texting is, again, mostly all i do--and it never has even registered on the battery use chart.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if this is the same across phones, if you go to Menu->Settings->About Phone you should be able to find a better battery graph that'll tell you what's using it.

Or there are quite a few other battery diagnostic tools available in the market.

dontbesojumpy

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if this is the same across phones, if you go to Menu->Settings->About Phone you should be able to find a better battery graph that'll tell you what's using it.

Or there are quite a few other battery diagnostic tools available in the market.

i have that, and mentioned that nothing but "display" ever registers as using the battery. the only other thing that has ever registered is "cell standby" and "call." but never more than 3%

i monitor settings: about phone: battery: battery use constantly. and display is the thing registering the most use.

and the display is set to time out after 15 seconds, again--that's too quickly to even read a long text/email without the phone locking down--and the dim/bright setting is on the second lowest possible.

it seems using the display at all eats the battery.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Well, it doesn't sound like anything normal to me if there's nothing using the battery but the display.

It's possible you have a dud phone, but my first inclination is that you have a bad battery. Sometimes you get one that just doesn't hold a charge....I just had to replace the battery in my EVO (but that was after two years) because it quit holding a charge.

I'm honestly not sure, but that's what I would lean towards and might be worth asking T-Mobile to swap out the battery for you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae