What types of streaming media sources are available?

FiftyOneFifty

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I have the opportunity to get an Incredible from Verizon until the end of the month for $120. I was disappointed to learn the required $30 "unlimited" data plan was capped at 5Gb and that tethering was an additional charge. The 3G would be just as fast as my existing "broadband" (line of sight 5Ghz WiFi rural Internet), I would hope to augment my current home bandwidth with legitimate streaming video sources, my taste running more to episodic TV and movies than video podcasts.

I understand Hulu is not impossible for the time being, what other resources exist (other TV sites, network TV, etc) over 3G. Is there any way to stream the content to my network or connect a larger monitor? About how many hours of streaming content would it take to use up my 5Gb (not expecting high def or even standard def). Hulu sorta works at lowest quality over my current home connection. I am a power user and a Linux enthusiast. If I have bandwidth left over at the end of the month, can I download a large file like a game patch or a Linux distro to the phone's storage and copy it to a PC without it counting as tethering?

MikeBinOK

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
New iPhone, iPad limits: How far 2 GB will get you - Jun. 4, 2010

The above article was written to address the new AT&T bandwidth limitations, but the numbers are still of interest. It states that six to twelve hours of video streaming (depending on quality of video stream) equal two gigabytes. So 5Gb would give you in the vicinity of twenty hours of video a month if you did nothing else. But as the article also points out, things like navigation applications, email, and browsing Android Central will use up bandwidth and can't be ignored if you do them often.

Added later....

AT&T provided this handy data usage calculator if you are willing to trust their numbers....

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...2Fdata-calculator%2Findex.html&token=jidKl168

Last edited:

thevoiceless

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
SubSonic is pretty cool for streaming your own music, it's like a pre-made music server. The Android app is free for 30 days, then you just have to donate whatever amount to keep it (which gets you some other goodies along with the very nice app on your phone, so not much to complain about). No ads, either.
Subsonic ? Free Music Streamer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair