Android tablet capabilities

adamtalife

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Starting school this fall, I can't seem to find a way to download text books to my phone, and the books I need aren't available in the Kindle store. So I'm deciding between a laptop and the Samsung galaxy tab 2. Any advice what I should choose would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
It depends. If you plan on gaming on it, I'd go with a laptop.

However, if you are only going to use it for email, internet, and books, a tablet would probably suffice.

I ended up getting a Transformer Prime when I was in a similar situation. I have a beast of a PC at home for gaming, and, I don't really game on the go, so, a tablet seemed like the right choice for me. I got the dock with my TF Prime and it does everything I'd need. I actually leave it in the dock more often than not. Most people that walk by my desk at work think it's a laptop.

adamtalife

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I'd be using either the laptop or tablet for school mainly. I use a console for gaming. So what did you use to download the books to your tablet?

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I only messed around with it a little bit to see what it was like. I generally buy books cheaper and used in hard cover or paperback. If they were cheaper in digital form I'd be all over it, I don't understand why they aren't since there production cost is almost zero. But, there is really no benefit (at least what I saw) to buying them digitally, so, I don't.

However, I'm not in school. If I were in school, I might so I didn't have to lug books around. If my Prime wasn't broken and with Asus right now, I'd tell you what I used. Just looking in Google Play on my phone real quick and there is a Google Play Books. And, I briefly remember using the Amazon Kindle app on my X2 (bloatware) and I remember it came with one free book and I checked it out, it was neat. That's about the best I can do as far as a specific app.

Reactions: adamtalife

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
No problem. When you make a decision, come back and post what you ended up doing, and, if you get a tablet, what kind. I'd be curious to know the outcome.

adamtalife

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Sure, might go out today, still on the fence between laptop, desktop, or tablet. From what I understand, the only benefit to buying a tablet is not carrying books around as they aren't any cheaper downloading them. Laptop or desktop seems more practical at this point.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I got my tablet because I like the touch screen. I got the dock with my TF Prime. It has a 92% scale keyboard and a track pad. So, it's kind of like a laptop. Only thing it isn't is Windows based. That wasn't really an issue for me, but, it might be for some.

Just found this poking around, dual boot Windows/Android Tablet, kinda cool, and, might fill all your needs, but, no clue when it's going to come out:

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/05/3...oting-windows-and-android-tablet-at-computex/

But, I'd say laptop is most practical of all. Especially if you want something Windows based, just to make life simple. And it's portable, so, you can take it to class. Also, you can get text books online. I think one website my University used was Safari Books, something like that.

adamtalife

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I got my tablet because I like the touch screen. I got the dock with my TF Prime. It has a 92% scale keyboard and a track pad. So, it's kind of like a laptop. Only thing it isn't is Windows based. That wasn't really an issue for me, but, it might be for some.

Just found this poking around, dual boot Windows/Android Tablet, kinda cool, and, might fill all your needs, but, no clue when it's going to come out:

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/05/3...oting-windows-and-android-tablet-at-computex/

But, I'd say laptop is most practical of all. Especially if you want something Windows based, just to make life simple. And it's portable, so, you can take it to class. Also, you can get text books online. I think one website my University used was Safari Books, something like that.

So I ended up buying an hp laptop as it fits my needs for school more than a tablet would. I appreciate all the help and sharing your experiences with your tablet. Thanks again!

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Great, glad to hear the end result of all of this. I agree, I think a laptop will be the best suited for school.

No problem, I just like to help. :D Glad I could help you figure out exactly what you needed, and, sounds like you made the right decision. I hope it serves you well, and, good luck with school!!

Reactions: adamtalife

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Google Drive should be able to convert your Word docs. Not sure if it's possible to convert them back so that Word can open them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz