Sorry, but I don't think I can quickly find a thread that will fully cover this question. This is a first post. My wife and I were texting each other, and after a number of exchanges I got a text from her (not) that said "F---- Y--!". Law enforcement directed me to my carrier. The carrier just said there's an app that allows people to do this. They seemed unconvinced or unwilling to prove whether that's all there is to it. Can you please tell me more?
    06-18-2012 01:44 PM
    I know that you can get on the carriers site and send text msgs. Maybe someone sent you atext off the website.
    sms1357 likes this.
    06-18-2012 01:55 PM
    I just saw this on my provider's website "Information sent via text messages may be intercepted by third parties during transmission over the Internet without your ... permission."
    06-18-2012 02:07 PM
    Sorry, but I don't think I can quickly find a thread that will fully cover this question. This is a first post. My wife and I were texting each other, and after a number of exchanges I got a text from her (not) that said "F---- Y--!". Law enforcement directed me to my carrier. The carrier just said there's an app that allows people to do this. They seemed unconvinced or unwilling to prove whether that's all there is to it. Can you please tell me more?
    That's called spoofing. There are apps that do this. The carriers could stop this if they wanted to, but they would have to invest money in the technology and they don't want to.

No one has hacked your phone. What they have done is spoofed your wives phone number to make it look like a text coming from their phone is coming from your wife's phone.

Can you think of anyone who would want to spoof your wife's phone number to make it look like she was saying FU to you?
    sms1357 likes this.
    06-18-2012 02:10 PM
    I don't think so. But someone once had that number because we were getting calls from the pharmacy saying her prescription was ready, but they used another persons name. We told the pharmacy that my wife was getting these and there removed the number from their database under my wife's name. My wife suspected this person as somehow connected, but I think that's far fetched as to how they would have it sent to me. Very few people have my wife's phone number. Especially anyone who WOULD do this.
    06-18-2012 02:19 PM
    Guess my earlier reply is lost or still being moderated??? Sorry if redundant, no I don't think anyone has her number but a few of her friends who definitely wouldn't do such a thing.
    06-18-2012 02:28 PM
    Could they, as my provider mentioned, have real-time intercepted a conversation of ours and just for kicks sent this message?
    06-18-2012 02:30 PM
    Could they, as my provider mentioned, have real-time intercepted a conversation of ours and just for kicks sent this message?
    I am sure it is possible, but I think the more likely explanation is spoofing. I suspect more people have her and your numbers than you realize.
    06-18-2012 02:33 PM
    Possibly, but we have guarded her number so as not to get it into "wrong" hands. Only a few people have gotten it directly. I find this hard to fathom. But as long as the phone is not actually compromised, I feel much better about that. As for the coward who writes stuff anonymously like this - they must have a pretty meaningless existence I guess. Thanks for your help.
    06-18-2012 02:38 PM
    Maybe my Google contacts are compromised....
    06-18-2012 02:40 PM
    Possibly, but we have guarded her number so as not to get it into "wrong" hands. Only a few people have gotten it directly. I find this hard to fathom. But as long as the phone is not actually compromised, I feel much better about that. As for the coward who writes stuff anonymously like this - they must have a pretty meaningless existence I guess. Thanks for your help.
    Huh? What do you mean the "wrong" hands? Are you in the witness protection program or something like that, lol?

If you are worried about the phone, do a factory reset. That will wipe it and restore it to the factory state.
    06-18-2012 02:46 PM
    She doesn't speak to a sibling anymore. So husband and wife are "banned". But those people could not have her number, but do have mine. Will consider going the factory reset route. Thanks again this has been very helpful.
    06-18-2012 02:50 PM
    Maybe my Google contacts are compromised....
    It doesn't hurt to change your Google password or try the 2 step authorization. Apps like Cerberus are also phenomenal in the event you think your phone has been compromised and you can't find it...just remote wipe!
    06-18-2012 02:51 PM
    Thanks. I'll definitely research both options and keep the information handy.
    06-18-2012 02:55 PM
    She doesn't speak to a sibling anymore. So husband and wife are "banned". But those people could not have her number, but do have mine.
    I am willing to bet if that is the situation that somehow they got her number and are behind this spoofing.
    sms1357 likes this.
    06-18-2012 03:01 PM
    Maybe. But since a spoof can apparently be from any number to another number, I'm not sure why it would be more meaningful to send it apparently from hers to mine (but maybe I'm missing a point). Unless they just wanted to make the point that they have her number anyway. But again - people with meaningless existence.
    06-18-2012 03:07 PM
    Fact is, the few people who were given my wife's number, certainly have my number as well. Anyway I would guess this initial question is well enough covered. Wouldn't you?
    06-18-2012 03:11 PM
    Fact is, the few people who were given my wife's number, certainly have my number as well. Anyway I would guess this initial question is well enough covered. Wouldn't you?
    Except for the possibility of interception. That would be much more difficult to do than spoofing not to mention a serious crime.

How do you intercept someone else's text message? - Slate Magazine
    06-18-2012 06:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD